Maestronet Forums

Arnold Steinhardt

One_Tree_Hill

Well the concert was wonderful tonight. They played a Beethoven quartet in the first half, and then the Dvorak piano quintet in the second half. My teacher (who studied with Steinhardt back when she was at Curtis) took me and a few others backstage, so I met the other members, Michael Tree, John Dalley, and their new cellist Peter Wiley (who by the way sounds just beautiful). They are all extremely nice guys. What a day!

I am glad that you have had this great day. You are a very musical young lady. It is right that you should be excited. Do not forget this day, as also you should not forget the day when you have your first lesson with a great virtuoso violin soloist, as I'm sure you will in due course. There will be surprisingly few days like this, even if you establish a professional career. The reason is that the impact will wear off as you begin to establish your own very personal identity in music. But you are so young and excited now so enjoy it now - well done, my girl!.

As a Guarneri Quartet fan, I've been somewhat disappointed that they haven't played or recorded as much lately as they once did. Part of the reason for this (I think) was Arnold Steinhardt's problems.

Someone told me that he had arm trouble partially beucase he has an arm vibrato. More than one violinist has mentioned to me that arm vibratos can lead to long-term physical problems. The consensus seems to be that it tends to cause a lot of tension.

I also believe that he had some kind of attachment put on his violin (I think it's a Storioni) to make it longer and, hence, more comfortable for him. I do not know if he is still using that.

The high chinrest is attached to the extension on his violin. He doesn't need a shoulder rest. He is one of the most beautiful musicians. The Guarneri Quartet is fabulous, they've made so many wonderful recordings I can't recommend any in particular. Listen to all of them!

I have not heard them with Pete yet, glad to hear they still sound great.

The Julliard quartet was here tonight, and they were simply fabulous. The concert was lovely. The radiator in the background was kind of loud, but it was an excellent concert. They played the Beethoven Op. 18 #2, then the a new work by Schuller (Quartet #4), and then the Rasumovsky #3. Their precision was incredible; 4 players immersed in their own parts but sounding like One. Simply excellent.

The Guarneri Quartet indeed is a wonderful group. If you're looking for a recommendation, get the Dvorak Piano Quintet #2 and Schumann Piano Quintet CD that they recorded with Arthur Rubinstein. It's incredible. I only have a few of their recordings, but I plan on getting more in the future. Their Beethoven is also monumental.