Sign in to follow this  
aznviolinist8

Rosin/Resin..

I use Hill Dark Rosin on my Glasser bow and Sherman Cello Rosin on my La Salle, but I'm mainly experimenting with rosins for now, so they're probably going to change after a while.

Bernardel, made in France. It’s a light rosin and I don’t use much. Old rosin is useful as soldering flux for electronics. It smells nice when it burns.

It is interesting to read which rosins people are using but I would really like to know why they prefer one over another (a couple of posters did mention this). I was looking at a site about strings the other day and unfortunately cannot remember which it was but for Helicore strings which I am using it said "apply dampening rosin"(to the bow of course) Could anyone enlighten me as to what a "dampening rosin" is and/or suggest a good rosin to use with Helicores in a climate which is mild and damp in summer and cold and dryish - not extremely dry- in winter. My rosin is Hidersine #4. It was bought because it was the most expensive rosin in the store so I figured it must be the best. It seems to work well in summer but is a little powdery and tends to require more frequent application in winter. Any input gratefully received.