Party pieces under ten minutes

MsMazas

Ok, so, now I've got this competition coming up in April (not too far away mind you). I've got a ten minute slot, including tuning. So what are some great party pieces under ten minutes that are REALLY flashy? We're talkin Zigeunerweisen, Introducion & Rondo (however, I'll murder myself if I have to play any more saint-saens), Sigetti stuff, etc.

So, any ideas? NO BAZZINI.

--Mazas

I played the third mvmt. from Wieniawski 2 last year, didn't really enjoy it too much, but yeah, I may end up playing a third movement from whatever, who knows?

Kreisler is always fun, but not flashy enough. Didn't he write an un-accompanied piece? I'm not considering it or anything, but I've always wondered what it was called.

--Mazas

Ooooh...flashy, fancy....I love it already . Anyway, I second Zapteado and La Campanella. If you are allowed to play portions of pieces, can you play parts of carmen fantasy (waxman or sarasate, take your pick)? Other ideas: Flight of The Bumblebee (RK), and Moses Variations for the G string (Paganini)....I like the latter especially...not too hard, and flashy on the g-string. Best of luck!

-KP

You just finished a piece on up-bow staccato?

So you should WELcome it, as you would have already gained quite some mastery over it!

I HATED struggling with Kreislers first movement cadenza of Beethoven VC. It seemed unnatural and unhealthy. But now I actually enjoy trying to get it better and better.

So which piece? If you ask me, I would say Kreislers Preludium (or whatever it's called). That can be very impressive if played well. Let yourself really go in the cadenza-like part, let the adrenaline work!

I think it should impress non-classical music people.