Maestronet Forums

"The Art of Violin" DVD

melody4u

One of my students received this DVD for Christmas and wanted me to enjoy it too. It was just marvelous!! Real footage of the most talented violinists of all time. It had 2 parts. The first, "The Devil's Instrument" and the second, "Transcending the Violin". You can listen to it in English, French, Russian. There was a lot of French spoken in the film and I didn't realize that I could watch the DVD with English, Spanish, Japanese subtitles if needed. A very inspiring DVD!

TD - The Bell Telephone hour DVD is reviewed in this month's Strad. I've got the DVD (it's also on VHS). Amazingly, for the vintage of the performances, it is all in colour.

There are a few more EMI Classic Archive releases promised that will feature violinists.

Scribe

In reply to:

There was a lot of French spoken in the film and I didn't realize that I could watch the DVD with English, Spanish, Japanese subtitles if needed.

Ditto. I labored through the entire first half before I figured out how to turn on the subtitles... really gave my old college French a workout.

I would like to see someone come out with an "Art of the Cello" DVD.

Is that a DVD or VHS with Oistrakh? There are a number of good performances of great violinists recorded on VHS. With the waning interest in that mode I would have thought someone would have been smart enough to convert them all to DVD. I'll wait until they are in DVD version to hear them since VHS sucks.

MuOn: Rostropovich says something like this, if I`m not wrong:

"I remember when I was a child, during the war time. It was cold and we were hungry, but when Oistrack played on the radio I used to put my ear very near the radio to listen to that marvelous sound. We used to hear: play like Oistrack and you will travel aroung the world, your will have everything you want!"

This video is marvelous. I would like to hear Oistrack playing the whole Shostakovich concerto.

I loved to see Misha Elmann saying: "Players of our generation were free to do what we wanted to do..." As a violin maker, I would say that "makers of that generation were free to make the violins they wanted to make too", that is, they had a strong personality.