Maestronet Forums

who is your favorite violinist... (ex. Karen Briggs, Vanessa Mae, Lilia Josefowicz??)

Violink

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As my favorite classical violinists all have been mentioned (Kreisler, Grumiaux, Vengerov), I would like to add some fiddle players that in my humble opinion have taken fiddle playing to new heights:

Sean Keane (Chieftains) and Frankie Gavin (De Dannan) for traditional irish fiddle playing at it's best

and

Eileen Ivers who's last album "Crossing the bridge" brings to me simply the most exiting fiddle playing I have ever heard.

Has anyone ever heard Robert McDuffie?

He's an American violinist.

He is not my favorite, but I think he is worth paying attention to.

I heard him play the Barber concerto with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra (I think that's the name of the group) about a year ago. I was extremely, extremely impressed, and I've heard a lot of live performers.

Some of my favorites:

Martin Hayes, Kevin Burke (Bothy Band, Patrick Street, and Open House), Jerry Holland, Johnny Hardy (Old Blind Dogs), Johnny Cunningham (Silly Wizard), Mairead NiMhaonaigh (Altan), and Alicia Svigals(Klezmatics).

Those who have expressed an interest in Natalie MacMaster should really check out Jerry Holland.

what about Gil Shaham?!?! He's the most amazing violinist and human being i've ever heard of! His tone is so purified and he has the impeccable sense of rhythm (something u don't find often in this "younger" generation of violinists) His music always speaks out to me even if I listen to it almost every single day. It sounds so refreshing and new every time.

On the other hand, Oistrahk always moves me emotionally. He always inspires me with his beautiful tone and amazing sensitivity to music. I watched one of his performances capture in video once, the one w/ him playing sibelius concerto. OH MY GOSH, that brought tears to my eyes!! i've ever cried cuz i was so emotionally moved but i did that one time~

• 9 months later...

Karen Briggs is one of my favorite violinist. The first time I heard her play was in Leimert Park in Los Angeles. Usually when a band is playing at a festival, some people listen and others go about there business. I had never seen so many people focused on the stage that day! There were people sitting on the ground, standing and perched on buildings. After she finished, the ovation lasted for ten minutes! The Amazing Grace CD was good, but if you ever have an opportunity to hear Mrs. Briggs live, do it!

Ysaye, unquestionably, at least in the realm of the small things he recorded. What amazing panache!

Among people I've heard doing larger works, Zino Francescatti and David Oistrakh (his son's not too bad either) were excellent. So is Aaron Rosand, 'though I wish he would focus his pitch just a little more.

Among newer players, Perlman is something else. Vengerov and Shaham are pretty good, but not exceptional.

If I may offer a least favorite: Gidon Kremer. What is there to like about him? He plays cleanly, I suppose, and fairly well in tune, but he has no tone and no real musical force. I think the only reason he has a career is that he plays things nobody else cares to, and some people apparently want to hear them - like that appalling cadenza Schnittke wrote for the Beethoven Concerto, or in fact anything else Schnittke has ever written. It's unfortunate that Kremer has performed and recorded some of the things he has; the violin and orchestra version of Milhaud's Le Boeuf sur le Toit deserves to be heard more, but I doubt that, any violinist would venture it after his disgusting performance.

I'm going to stop here before I get (more?) carried away.

Altgeige.

I have so many favourite violinists, so I have grouped them according to my taste.

Dyng to listen: Szeryng, Milstein, Ricci, Oistrakh

Want to listen: Menuhin, Heifetz, Stern, Perlman, Rosand, Shumsky, Grumiaux, Chung

Will listen: Vengerov, Shaham, Mutter, Accardo, Bell, Suk, Kennedy

Might listen: Hahn, Midori

Will not listen: Chang

Will kill me: Mae, Rieu, Brava

About Noel Pointer; I love his version of the 'Roots' theme from his CD 'Hold On'. His death in 1993 (at the age of 40) was a tragic loss to the world of jazz.

Another jazz violinist whom I like, though I haven't heard very much of him, is John Blake Jr. This guy plays GREAT jazz violin.

Of the early jazz violinists I love Eddie South, of which I was fortunate in finding a rather hard-to-find book which is a compendium of his recordings, as well as photos taken throughout his career. An interesting story from the book relates the great Kreisler remarking to a friend that South should have been a concert violinist.

[This message has been edited by gypsyfiddler (edited 01-04-2001).]

I agree, Noel Pointer was a tremendous loss to the jazz community. I'm going to pick up that Hold On CD this evening, I just hope it's still there! shocked.gif I haven't heard any of John Blake's pieces yet, but I'll look out for some of his works. I'd like to check out that book on Stuff Smith too, will keep me eyes peeled for it also. wink.gif Hopefully with a lot of practice, I will be able to pick up right where Noel Pointer left off... cool.gif

Hi Bowflex,

I recently ordered the Noel Pointer CD from Amazon. The Eddie South book I ordered from a book dealer in Canada (whom I found at http://www.abebooks.com/ )The name of the book is 'Black Gypsy: The Recordings Of Eddie South' by Anthony Barnett. Mr. Barnett also has a book on Stuff Smith called 'Stuff Smith, Pure At Heart' which can be found on the above mentioned website (in fact I just checked it out a second ago). Happy hunting!!!

[This message has been edited by gypsyfiddler (edited 01-04-2001).]

quote:

Originally posted by Theresa:

Definitely Perlman and Milstein; up and coming: Jessica Lee (Curtis...extraordinaire!)

[This message has been edited by Theresa (edited 02-02-2000).]

Theresa are you talking about Jinyeong Jessica Lee?? I was at a place called the Steins Institute with her, she is a talent. It was awesome playing with her( if its the same one) she taught me a lot and I taught her a ot so it was cool. ( that sounds dumb I bet) My fav violinist always has been and always will be PERLMAN and my second is milstein.

oh i forgot to say.. i saw jinyeong jessica lee play at curtis 2 years ago. She played the tchaikovsky violin concerto... i thought it was really bad. She was going crazy and out of control due to nervousness and it had nothing to it musically and her technique wasn't even that astonishing. The only good parts were her tone in the slow lyrical stuff in the first movement.. that was it. I wanted to leave before she finished... i really couldn't believe she was a curtis student.. maybe she got a lot better tho?