Sign in to follow this  
mikeprocter

piano transport

A couple of weeks ago I went to a concert given by the City of Sheffield Youth Orchestra (my daughter is the youngest viola) which included the Brahms 2pc, soloist Mark Gasser. Gasser played an enormously powerful Bosendorfer which, in the interval, was dismantled to be flown back to Vienna. How common is this procedure? What would the airfreight charge be? What is the weight of the frame? I was under the impression that expensive pianists kept a piano at (usually) Steinway's in several important centres, either permanently set up to their preferences or ready to be so set up.

There are a lot of pianists who have "special" pianos that they use when they come to play in a major venue. I used to work a couple doors down from one here in Detroit and the guys who worked there would tell me who was in town based on what piano they were delivering to what location.

A few years ago I went to a concert where all of the pianists were playing on Horowtiz' piano. He was one who travelled with his instrument I've heard of several other, but the stories were conflicting.

The average spinet piano weighs about 800-1000 pounds. A 4' grand about 1000-1400 pound. Add roughly 500 pounds per 2 feet of length. A Concert Grand will weigh anywhere between 2000 and 3000 pounds depending on the wood used in the case. Figure $1 per pound for shipping and you are probably in the ball park, but I think these guys have their own roadies to do the hauling.

Are you sure they dismantled the Bose or just took the legs off?

I agree that a grand merely has at most the legs and music rack as well as the pedal structure removed for transport. The soundboard has to be protected and the box and steel do this. Further the enormous tension expressed by the large number of strings can only be held with the pin block firmly held in its original position. The whole thing strapped to a grand board and dolly. Crating or strapping to the vehicle carrying the piano is determined by the particular transport vehicle.