Sign in to follow this  
BradleyJoe

Youth Orchestras

Im in the SCCYO. Here is what we read through on saturday:

Mozart Symphony no. 25 and Ravel's Pavane for a Dead Princess

We will be playing the Beethoven Piano Concerto no. 3 in march. We havent read through that yet. If you have, tell me about it. I play violin II. What is your youth orchestra playing?

I'm in Tapiola Youth Symphony. What, you haven't heard of it!!! I can't believe it...

I haven't played any of those pieces. My orchestra is having a break now, but next we'll play Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf and Divertimento. Should be fun... at least Prokofiev's March (from "The love for the three oranges") was really fun when we played it last spring.

What else have you played, and what have you liked the most? My favorite orchestral experience must have been Mahler's 1st symphony, Shostakovich 9 and Sibelius violin concerto coming second.

I love to play in my youth symphony, but I'd like to be first viola sometimes... Usually I'm just sitting at the back, although I don't feel I'm the worst violist in the orchestra (I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging)

Well, who cares about the seating as long as you get to play!

Hi Brad, this is what we're playing in Concert orchestra on the 31st.

Mozart Titus Overture (Arr. Issac)

Strauss Thunder and Lightning Polka (arr.Issac)

Schubert Unfinished Symphony 1st mvmt. (Abridged)

Ralph Matesky Variations on a Famous Theme by Paganini

Rick Slonim The New Millennium March and The beginning of the Journey.

I wish most of it wasn't arranged, but with the pressure of being Principal viola I'm glad that I can play most of it fairly easily. Hopefully we can play something harder for our next concert, it would be cool to get to play another full symphony like we did last year.

Our youth orchestra (London School's Symphony Orchestra) is playing Shostakovich symphony 5, Ravel's Tzigane and Kodaly's Hary Janos Suite. I'm struggling but I think things will work out.

Carlo.

lets see...this year we've done/are doing:

west side story symphonic suite

dvorak symphony 8 (complete, eventually)

beethoven- fidelio overture

shostakovich piano concerto w/ student soloist

kabalevsky violin concerto w/ student soloist

dragonetti bass concerto w/ student soloist

i know there must be something else...but heck if i remember.

Our youth orchestra is on break until February, but we will be playing the Hansel and Gretel Suite, the Harry Potter Suite and Carmen. But I'm not sure if I will be playing in it because it might be a bit much since I am also in symphony and chamber orchestras at school.

Hi Brad, I'm in the Lancashire Students' SO.

We had a concert yesterday and played:

Verdi - Overture: Nabucco

Butterworth - "A Shropshire Lad" Rhapsody

Tchaikovsky - Fantasy Overture: Romeo and Juliet

Our next rehearsal is on 19th Jan, and we'll be starting on

Dvorak's Symphony No.6 and a viola concerto, I think

I'm in the Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra, and our next concert is on March 23rd. We will be playing Larsen's Deep Summer Music, Ives' Symphony No. 1 and Stravinsky's The Firebird. We start rehearsing for it in 2 weeks. I can't hardly wait!

~Violonetoile~

I'm in the Chicago Youth Symphony, and this Winter we are playing Overture to Rienzi by Wagner, On the Waterfront Suite by Bernstein, and some music from Verdi's La Forza Del Destino. For the Spring, our big concert, we will be playing the Totenfeier from Mahler's 2nd Symphony, the orchestral suite from Strauss's Der Rosenkavalier, and some piece that I can't think of. I do know that in that piece we will be playing with 4 of the French Horns from the Chicago Symphony. Should be exciting!

Dan

Lol, they can't really kick anyone in the 1st violins out, considering there's only 7 regular members in the 1sts, and 11 regular members in 2nds(none of them want to move up )

Hi! I'm in the San Diego Civic Youth Orchestra and I'm principal second. We're playing Tchaikovsky's Symphony #4, Beethoven Symphony #5, and Lieutenant Kije by Prokofiev. We also just finished playing Nutcracker with the San Diego City Ballet. That was fun...espicially the "Nutty Nutcracker" where the orchestra got to throw the snowballs back at the dancers and we played the Sugar Plum Fairy with some really weird sound on the keyboard. I'm not sure the dancers were prepared for it.....but it was funny to us

I'm in the SBS Radio & Television Youth Orchestra here in Sydney, Australia. This year, we've got a rather hectic concert schedule (though somewhat less so than some years).

Our repertoire will include Stravinsky's Firebird Suite, Mahler 5, Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet, Khachaturian's Spartacus, Beethoven's Symphony no. 7, Handel's Messiah, some choral music with England's Kernow Choir (who will be here on tour), etc.

I think the repertoire for our international tour still has not been firmed up, but this is for our domestic season at least. There is also a special concert with some 'music from the movies'. I pray and trust that music will be relaxing and fairly enjoyable.

Being new in the orcehstra, I've not been told where I'll be playing. It doesn't really matter to me at the moment, because I'm so glad just to have gotten in to so prestigious an orchestra. So far, it's grand to be in. I can't wait for rehearsals to start on 31st Jan.

Our first concert/tour is to the Jenolan Caves in the Blue Mountains on the 22nd and 23rd of February. I hear we'll be performing the Beethoven Symphony no. 7 and the Firebird Suite by Stravinsky. Hope I manage to catch up fast with the music! Have fun, people!

Today we got more new music, Dvorak Symphony No. 8, wait, i played that last year. but, today our conductor wants some seconds bumped up to violin I. Im at the top of the list for that since principle second doesnt wanna move last year i played the violin II part. Ill give you results soon

Today was the first rehearsal back for 2003 for the SBS Radio & Television Youth Orchestra (http://www.sbsyo.org.au). =) I got the most pleasant, but yet quite stunning, surprise. The conductor appointed me to Violin I!

We read through the music we're performing, in 3 weeks, today. It's very difficult to sight-read, but I reckon I'll be fine as we go along. There's rehearsals tomorrow and Sunday, anyway. We're performing Beethoven's Symphony no. 7, Brahms' Five Hungarian Dances, Tchaikovsky's Polonaise, and Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite on Feb 22nd. That's heaps to sight-read. Jeez! Hope I survive...

This is the Syracuse Symphony Youth Orchestra's current music:

Rossini, Overture to The Barber of Sevile

Mozart, Flute Concerto No. 1 (concerto comp. winner)

Chabrier, Espana

Barber, Intermezzo from Vanessa

Upcoming, past:

Brahms, Academic Festival Overture

Ives, Variations on America (grrrr)

Bizet, Suites from Carmen

Dvorak, Slavonic Dances

I wish we did more symphonies- none this year and only a Hanson symphony last year. I guess our conductor wants us to do a broader range of shorter pieces. I think we could play more or more difficult music than we do now; our conductor's a perfectionist (which I guess isn't a bad thing). We have our concert next weekend. Then we have our side-by-side concert with the Syracuse Symphony.

When and how often does your orchestra rehearse? We rehearse for two and a half hours every Sunday afternoon.

At my son's last concert they played Mozart's Concerto for Flute and Harp with a flutist from the NY Phil, Don Giovanni Overture and Bizet's Symphony in C Major. Next month they will play Beethoven's 7th Symphony and Mendelsson's Hebrides Overture (Fingal's Cave). I don't know what they are playing for Lincoln Center in June but later in June they will be performing Mozart's requiem with a full chorale in an old church. (I'll sleep through that).

They rehearse on Tuesday evenings for 2 1/2 hours.

Carlo_jsb, I played in the LSSO in 1988-90. We toured Spain with Meredith Davies, playing Tchaik 5, some Vaughan Williams, and some Turina to keep the locals happy. Happy days, so make the most of it - opportunities to play in an orchestra of that quality are pretty rare once you leave school, unless of course you decide to go pro.

Do you go to CYM as well?

Since we're telling our stores or boasting about our repertoire, i'll share what our repertoire is for this year.

For the Toronto Symphony Youth Orchestra, this past season, we performed

Dvorak's Carnival Overture

Brahms' Symphony #2,

Stravinsky firebird Suite

A modern work by french-canadian composer Mercure - Kaleidoscope

This season we'll be playing

Elgar Cello Concerto (full) and

Sibelius Symphony #2

and a work by our guest conductor Gary Kulesha - The gates of time

For my other orchestra, the Royal Conservatory Accademy, we're playing

Beethoven Smphony 4 and

Tchaikowsky's "Arias" (?)

Mendelssohn's Piano Concerto #1

and Bartok Concerto for Strings (Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta.

Of all of em', the Bartok is definately the most difficult...But, a very interesting piece - especially the second and fourth movement. The Beethoven is also a bit difficult. The Sibelius is probably my favorite, but for some reason our rehersals have been horrible, with the conductor literally taking it in half time so its double the tempo...Hideious. I was ready to walk out!

-patrick