Maestronet Forums

Do most violinists share particular qualities?

staylor

I mean, personality traits (but couldn't fit it in the heading).

If you see a person in the street with a violin, or who you know to be a violinist, can you be rather sure he/she has things (uniquely) in common with you (if you're a violinist) besides the fact of playing the violin?

If so, what are they?

And how is it caused by violin?

I think violinists would have to share, at least, some basic qualities to be able to survive the instrument and its demands, at whatever their level of abilty. Paramount would be courage, in my mind, followed by self-confidence, sensitivity and in some a certain flamboyance. Courage, because there must be occasions when it would seem impossible for them to even put bow to string, but they do. I can think of other qualities of individual folks that I know, but they are not necessarily shared by most.

Heart and Soul. I think to play this instrument one must have a lot of heart; and the best players I've heard seem to be able to reach into their very soul and echo it out through tthe instrument. The heart can be kind or cruel. It doesn't seem to matter as long as it is big.

Being stuborn helps too!

"Heart and soul" is right. I think musicians in general want to express the inexpressible, and understand the importance of being part of something greater than themselves. I think violinists want to commune with the universe. Or something like that. Were I a philosopher, or just brighter, I could make that into a sensible statement. Maybe Don can draw a picture of it. Deep down, I think that musicians know the importance of community.

You can be pretty sure that any musician has at least temporarily come up against the stops of their personal capabilities, possibly hundreds of times. I think this is why I've met relatively few arrogant musicians. Unlike business or political success, there's not much luck involved in playing an instrument, littlre opportunity for cheating, and not much opportunity for successful self-delusion. The raw materials are hard work plus whatever natural abilities you were handed out, so anyone respected for their playing has to have earned it. I think this makes musicians nicer people.

They need more money, they will work cheap, THEY DONT LIKE TO PLAY IN THE RAIN, they wear old comfortable shoes, the think they are much better(or worse)players than they are, they think pianos are always out of tune, THEY FLIRT, They can spend many happy hours in a small room by themselves

First S-T, congrats on 1.5K posts!

I think you may have fallen on an interesting question.

I think there are things (personality traits) that many of us have in common, through playing the violin or being a musicican in general. The way our minds work, the way we feel about 'arts' in an emotional way, even our attitude to relationships/life questions. In my sporting alter-ego, I find I don't like many of the people who fill my environment, whereas this is generaly NOT the case with music; Music reaches into the soul and shapes your personality, sport can often make you selfish and defensive of other talented people.

Just as an afterthought.........the reason why so many music students find relationships during their years of study is a) they protect their time but (frighteningly) :) where's the adventure in meeting someone new who is 'near as dammit' almost the same character as you?

TD

I'm reading all this and there is too much to react to until tommorow, atleast. But I agree with most of it.

One of the most interesting violinists must have been Paganini, also. I have a book all about him, and you will find that he had these good traits too. Such as love of people. At the end, he was merely a violin dealer, giving great advice to people. Interesting!