Maestronet Forums

One of my "backstage" stories.

stephen redrobe

Dear Maestronetters,

a conversation I had today reminded me of this, one of my favourite anecdotes. If I have related it to you before please forgive me. The newer members should enjoy it.

My old friend the great virtuoso Eugene Sarbu [who probably holds the record for international competition wins] was in New York having a lesson with Galamian. After the lesson he mentioned to Galamian that Francescatti was in town and that he would love to play for him. Galamian promptly obliged by phoning Zino at his hotel. He then told Eugene that the master would hear him immediately. Excitedly Eugene dashed off to find a taxi.

On arrival at the hotel he found an old man sitting behind the reception desk and told him that he was going to play for Maestro Francescatti. The old man laughed at him and said something along the lines of "I'm sure Francescatti has better things to do". However he did take Eugene up to the Francescattis' suite. Madame Francescatti answered the door and Eugene told her who he was and that the Maestro was expecting him. Madame Francescatti replied "well he's standing right next to you".