Maestronet Forums

Good Sound System For Classical CD's

nemesis

Hoosiergirl, if I had 1/10th of the budget that your husband have for audio equipment, I would probably quit school, and stay home to listen to music all day. I guess that's a bad thing.

Anyways, I would love to know the specific models of his equipment.

Bad to the original question, for < $900, I would spend $550 on a pair of magnepan MMG's and spend the rest on a decent dolby digital/DTS receiver. Brands like Yamaha, Onkyo, Rotel, Harman Kardon, Denon, Marantz (brands that hoosiergirl's husband would laugh at) make good receivers. Sure, it's only a stereo only system, but with an AV receiver, you can add speakers later. For classical music, I don't think you can find a better set of speakers, in terms of precision, sound stage, at this price. I hope this helps. Here's a link to top rated av receivers from audioreview.com

http://www.audioreview.com/htp_2718crx.aspx

You can go a cheaper route buy buying used equipment. www.audiogon.com and ebay are good places for bargains. Just make sure you always check reviews on audioreview first.

-Pennstater a.k.a "ghetto audiophile"

Well, we have a good friend who owns a high-end audio store so I'm betting he got a pretty good deal on this stuff. At least I hope so.

Umm, let me take another look. Most of it is still boxed up since we moved... we haven't even hooked it up here yet. It's an older system so I imagine most of these components are long since outdated.

VPI turntable (no model number)

Melos CD-T II vacuum tube CD player

Melos D/A converter (no model number)

Convergent Audio Technology receiver (no model number)

Julius Futterman Autograph Series output transformerless amplifiers

Sound Lab speakers (don't know the model)

Plus, we have these carpeted panel and barrel things that you sit behind the speakers to enhance the sound.