Maestronet Forums

Wieniawski Scherzo-Tarantelle

Violin_doll

Help!!

I've been practicing this piece for the last month and I still sound TERRIBLE! The notes are all out of tune, the shifting is lousy, and I can't get it up to the right speed! I've been practicing REALLY slow, then pushing the tempo, but after I get to a certain point, I just crash and can't do any more. This is REALLY frustrating 'cos I've never had this kind of problem before. Please help me!

Hello there!.

I recorded this piece commercially in the 1960s.

If I had been working on it for a month with the results you describe, I would have done exactly what I now advise you to do. Put it aside.

For whatever reason - and there may be many - the time is not right for you and this work to come together now. Come back to it in the future and you may well find that things are completely different.

Another point I would make is that many fine players before you have struggled with this piece. Not a few of them have never mastered it.

I had the exact same trouble with this piece, and I guess so do most. My teacher set up something where I'd start it at 40 to the dotted quarter note, eight times through the entire piece. I could up it one notch per day. I guess you could get by with fewer repetitions, and maybe starting a little faster, if you don't have 2-3 hours to spend on it, but that sort of stuff really gets you listening.

I just played this for juries... isn't it infuriating?? FOr intonation, I played it in double stops- don't just play the double stops slow, after you get them in tune speed them up. For speed I worked a lot in little "cells." I'd take the first 3 notes, figure out exactly what muscles I had to move and where, and speed up those 3 notes to tempo. (176 or so) Then I would add one note. Then I'd move to the next 3 notes. There are also rhythms you can do in groups of three or six. The nice thing about this piece is that it repeats so much that if you master the first 3 lines you're well on your way. I don't know about your spiccato, but mine is very much a baby still and has a LOT of developing to do. I made up this one-string exercise- I do it with the metronome on all strings, in triplets: here it is for the E string: E F# G# A G# F# repeat 2X then play two quarter note Es. Repeat the same a tone higher- so 1234321234321234321... 1... would be the fingering. Repeat starting on G# in second position and go up the scale from there.

My teacher said that someone published a whole study guide of rhythms, bowings, etc for this piece. Does anyone know who wrote it and if its in print?

I've been there with this piece. Listen to the other comments, but if you just can't find the answers don't feel bad about it. Come back to it if needs be another time.

I played this for an exam and got full marks. About a yr later I played it at an international course (in a Masterclass) and got slated!!! I cried a bit, consigned it to the back of my music cupboard and left it for 4-5? years.

I play it at the end of recitals but it needs hard work even now and very systematic and dedicated work.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!! I really appreciate the fact that you guys were willing to help me w/this. Most of my peers told me it was an "easy" piece, and that I should be able to learn it by 2 weeks... HAH. It's nice to know that there are actually SOME people who can't play it either. I would love to put it aside for now, but I've already entered all this years' competitions w/it... so, I need to go practice, lol. I'll put some of the above tips into use

I'm also trying to play this (on viola) but mostly just for fun... My teacher wanted me to play a "virtuosic" piece, and I chose this one. I'll probably never learn it well enough to perform it, but those practice tips seem brilliant. Have to try them.

About recordings... The only one I found in my local library was by Heifetz, on some of "The Recorded Violin" cd:s. I LOVE his glissandi! Why doesn't anyone slide like that anymore?