Maestronet Forums

Yet Another Open Seam Question

linuxviolin

How dangerous is it to play on a violin with a fairly open seam? My mother needs hers, so it's back to mine. The seam is located between the back and the ribs, directly underneath the button, and spreads for about an inch on each side. I can get it to a luthier tomorrow evening, but I have a lesson tomorrow afternoon that's my last until January.

Sorry I missed this Linux, If the open seam is directly beneath the button and on either side of the bottom block, I think I'd take the tension off of the strings just to be safe. In other words, if there's any chance that the bottom block is loose in there it would probably be prudent to remove the pressure from the strings right now. If there wasn't a question about the bottom block being involved I'd say go for it and use the violin until you got to the luthiers, but if you think the block is involved, Don't mess with it. De tune it and get it to the doctor before you tune it back up...

Uh-oh... I can see clearly between the block and the back of the violin. I also see the unvarnished wood where the button has pulled out, and the seam where the ribs connect is also out of order. Strings detuned as of ... now. It also appears that the chinrest has warded off some damage on the left side. Now I see more like a two inch separation on the right side. I'll be making a phone call in the morning. Thanks.

If everything else looks hunky dory, problably not much. On the other hand, if you see cracked or warped out of shape ribs, or a split starting down the center of one of the plates, that's another thing. Probably all that needs to happen is that the luthier needs to reglue the block and part of the ribs back into place. A routine job and no big deal.