Maestronet Forums

Looking for strings.

agreenspan

I have a European violin with obligato strings. (just about $1300) The strings have a nice warm, mellow sound. However, I think I'd like to try something a little louder. I tried obligatos on another violin that is not mine, and I thought the volume would break glass. Is Evah Pirazzi what Im looking for for my violin? Can I go louder with the same warm properties, or do I have to go to brighter strings for more volume. Also, can adjusting the soundpost or anything else increase the volume of the instrument?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Stephen

Try Larsen's with the golden E. I had Pirazzi's, did not like the wolftone that G produced in the high positions. IMHO, Larsen combines the brightness of Pirazzi with the warmth of Obligato. FYI, I had Obligato's on my 2nd violin and liked them a lot. On my 1st violin, I tried Pirazzi and after reading some posts on Maestronet, switched to Larsen and voila! got what I was looking for.

Of course, it all depends on an individual instrument, your playing abilities and personal preferences. Good luck, regardless!