Maestronet Forums

Teachers -- funniest "gift" ever recieved

mthss

Well it's that season again when us students try to find that perfect and awkward gift that only our teacher would/could enjoy. You know the one.

Now "Miss Manners" would say the perverbial "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" but has she really ever looked at a horse in the mouth (yech).

Now I'm sure you could use another mug...for the coffee house you always wanted to open if you could add just one more mug to your collection. But what could you teachers really want besides a good set of ear plugs. Remember, your students maybe listening as to what NOT to get...hint hint.

I've "violin themed" my poor teacher to death. Not just for Christmas, but her birthday and "just because" kind of gifts. Poor woman has so many violin pins and statues that I don't dare give her another (but she'd still be gracious about it). I think the coolest gift I gave her (and she definitely seemed to cherish the most) was a Vienna Philharmonic coin pendant. If you haven't seen it, look up one on the 'Net. Awesome for any musician as a pendant or a collectable. Granted it's not inexpensive, but the year I gave that to her was a very hard one for her and it was also her birthday present (her BD is on the 19th).

Sooooo, this year? HELP!!! I've about decided to give her a few bottles of wine. She does tip the glass on special occasions, so I know she'd like that.

I used to teach English as a second language and received some amazing gifts. My favorite is probably the Japanese paper kite (very cool; Japanese students are a great bunch). Food gifts were always fun and sometimes a bit of an adventure... what's considered a dessert item in southeast Asia is not necessarily what I'd choose to eat as a snack.

Really, though, I think a handwritten thank-you is ultimately the best gift.

Most annoying... homemade chocolates from a student's family who had just had the stomach flu but didn't tell me until later... my whole family came down with it the next day! I just get my teachers chocolate... I like to give self-destructing presents. My teacher has mentioned that he'll be as fat as a pig by New Year's but he usually has most of it finished by the end of my lesson so I think he likes it! (Also, he shares with me and that's about the only time I get expensive chocolate... that's a good enough reason in itself to get him chocolate. Although I can't say I play my best with a large sticky mouthful of caramal and chocolate, it is very, uh, sweet playing!)

Yeh! It was the most 'logical' present I ever got. I was very moved by all your concern. Last time I bought a sensible gift I got the 'silent treatment' for about a week - still, a vacuum cleaner's not very romantic is it!

(Better find something good for my mum?!~%*£)

What would you like Carlo? (hypothetically). I think another japanese sports car would do it, or maybe a really good Viola! Perhaps an unbroken 4th finger, or smaller tummy?

1.) Rule- If you love another and wish to pursue the relationship, vaccuum cleaners, leaf blowers, and toilet plungers rank low on the "want" list.

2. The funniest present I ever got was a bale of Swiss Chard. It was right from the garden (bugs, slugs, earth all attached)and fortunately someone in the house likes it.

You are becoming quite a philosopher Cjsb. I have a lot (in my terms) and the things I want are so small I could probably squeeze them onto my MasterCard.

I'd prefer more skill than a better Violin, older (rather than newer) Japanese cars and more sleeping time. I think a 30 hour day (10 for sleeping, 6 for practice, 1/2 hour teaching and the rest......living a totaly hedonistic lifestyle of unimaginable pleasure........yeh...right

More skill means doing the concerts I want to do. I already use this approach (mostly) anyway - lots of times I choose the better concert and the less £cash! I honestly wouldn't change violins unless I suddenly had 100K or something, IMHO the difference is only hugely noticeable once you creep into the extreme premier league. Although with a few thousand spare each year I would like to buy lots of new instruments and perhaps lend them to needy causes.

Better job - is there one? (less money in orchestras and I can't see the RCM or Guildhall 'phoning me - I don't do that area of teaching anyway)

Maybe less hours = less sleep needed = more time for life.

"Maybe less hours = less sleep needed = more time for life"

Hmm.. my day exactly.. four hours of sleep last night, left soon after getting up, two stops to change clothes, and I got back a little while ago now.

All I want for Christmas is a nice day of rest, without a lesson to prepare for the next Monday I guess the most painful gift most teachers have received is unprepared students