Maestronet Forums

Your favorite conductor?

Paganiniest

How to cook a conductor:

The ingredients: 1 conductor or two assistant conductors (avoid conductors laureate- they're too old and tough), 2 large cloves of garlic, 1 tub lard or vegetable shortening, 1 keg cheap wine, 2 lbs assorted vegetables, and 4 lbs tofu. Upon capture, remove the tail and horns. Carefully separate the large ego and refrigerate for the sauce. Discard any batons, scores, pencils, etc. Clean the conductor as you would a squid. After removing the slime and the inner organs (mostly large intestines), tenderize it on a rock witha strong pounding motion. Marinate it in a bathtub using half a keg of cheap wine. (No point in wasting the good stuff). Exception: conductors from France or Italy. Also, Canadian, German, and Australian conductors tend to have a beery aroma. Use your own discretion when choosing how to marinate them. When sufficiently soaked, remove the outside clothing and rub the complete surface area with garlic. Apply all of the lard over the whole body. Place in a pan with the vegetables surrounding it. Cover and cook on high until lightly flamed. When done, invite all members of the orchestra over for dinner and serve with the remaining wine. Sauce: combine the ego, seasonings, and lots of ketchup in a blender and puree until liquified. Heat and serve.

You know, is so interesting to watch and listen to all these guys. To me each one has virtues and faults. Personally I am fascinated with Celibidache. I just learned he actually had 4 doctorates, spoke about 30 languages, some sort of scientist, gipsy and philosopher. Although I feel his Beethoven is almost too tight for my taste. Seems like he got better as he got older. I love Furtwangler, particularly his sense of inaccurate conducting which really made you listen to each other. Then von Karajan, well, actually I have changed my mind about him . I still think that Kemplerer's Beethoven was superb, another one of those rhythmically inaccurate conductors. What an era, and is it all gone? I have not seen or heard much from Esa-Pekka-Salonen. I am curious to know more about him.

Anyhow, this Celibidache was really something. Some of the things he said, such as when somebody asked him about von Karajan, he said, yes, he appeals to the masses like Coca Cola

Pag

I'm not see this firm but nobody can beat Furtwaengler at Beethoven-,Wagner-, Brahms's conducting. He's also chief conductor of both Berliner and Wiener Philhamoniker. It said to much..

And if you know how fascinated German about him you can understand it.

Karajan's too sophisticated so that if you've heard him for a long time you will find his art isn't wonderful like his legendary.

Toscanini and Solti were superb but I've never found that they were superb Beethoven's conductors. It's too sad because Beethoven's the best Symphonien writer.

Carlos Kleiber is superb too, his art is on the same ( not 100%) way like Toscanini. He has made only about 15-20 recordings ( 1973-now ). That's gentleman.

Walter, Boehme, Celibache, Wand, Bernstein..are among them.

Dead conductors

Herbert von Karajan and either BPO or VPO seem to be a good combination

Furtwangler with BPO is also good. I really like his recordings of Schubert's symphonies.

Everyone says Toscanini was a great conductor and probably he was, but thanks to the awful acoustic systems, I have never found his recordings apealing.

Living

Carlos Kleiber is my favourite conductor now. He is absolutely the best when it comes to waltz! I like his recordings of operas.

Claudio Abbado is very good. Its sad that he doesn't conduct BPO.

I agree with Rozhdestvensky, fantastic conductor, especially with David Oistrakh.

I also like Mehta and Placido Domingo.

Upon seeing Perlman conduct the London Philarmonic lately, I decided he is also an excellent conductor. Listen to the Jupiter Symphony on his latest CD with the Berlin Philarmonic. That is Mozart at its most divine.

Carlo.

Yes Celibidache, he was something else. Some of the things he said would make your eye brows go... mmm... I spoke to one of his students that actually played under him. He told me, he cried, and we cried during a performance of Beethoven's Ninth. Can you believe that? when was the last time I cried playing this wonderful music? I am intrigued about the man. I think it is how is supossed to be when there is real music making.

Respectfully,

Pag