Sign in to follow this  
ViolaJ

Roman Teller

I am curious to know about the instruments of Roman Teller. I already know that there are a lot of fakes out there, and that the instruments made by his successor after his death are not that great, so I just want some information about the genuine ones and about the real maker.

I recently purchased one of his instruments (very fine 17' Viola made in 1969) and have been very curious about the maker of my instrument. Any and all info will be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot

I have a Roman Teller fiddle. I bought it 30 years ago or so, from a luthier in San Francisco who had re-graduated it and put on a new bridge. I think I paid $1200 for it.

It's a pretty good fiddle, actually. I still have it. I use it when I have to play outdoors, since the varnish is of teutonic strength.

search under "sammler"--- he wrote a long reply to a thread regarding Arther Teller but goes into great detail about Roman Teller (and Rudolph Buchner)--

I have a "73 MA Roman Teller violin--nice bright instrument..packs a good punch... the oil varnish has crackled and gives the back a "slashed" up appearance...