I FEEL STUPID!!!! MUTES!!!

blondeboyrich

lol--I bought a mute a Knilling String Instruments Sliding Mute--No. 124KN for my violin.... I'm not accustomed... I was told it just slides on.... it doesn't fit between my strings... I dunno what the hell to do! if anyone if familiar with it.... please do e-mail--lol venom486@yahoo.com

k--I've added some pics--I know they typically slide onto the bridge but it doesn't fit between my stings... I dunno?

If this answer is not right then I am not stupid, I am just misinformed. Don't feel stupid it is a good question. See there is something here I may not know.

All I ever heard of is mutes that slide a slight way down on the bridge.

If you hear any different post it here, other people would like to know too.

Millie

I can't find any pics on the page to which you gave a link in the other post. Anyway, if the mute you bought is the Tourte style, 2-hole rubber model, I don't know why it wouldn't fit on your violin. You have to put it between the D and A strings sideways (perpendicular to the bridge), then turn it 90 degrees to install it; you can't shove it straight down onto the strings holding it parallel to the bridge (at least, not safely and easily). Maybe I just don't understand what problem you're having installing it.

Can't see the pics, but I am sure you have a wire mute. Yes? Don't feel stupid, lots of people cn'tfigure them out. Bring it back to the shop with your fiddle, and they will show you how to do it. Howver, you might as well just buy a tourte mute. They are easier to put on and they do not strip strings like the wire ones can.

This is probably what they call an 'opera' mute. it sits on the A & D strings (you just 'click' it on, with the A & D strings between the 2 feet, between the tailpiece and bridge, with the roller toward the bridge.) When not needed it's moved toward the tailpiece, and when needed, you slide it up ont the bridge. (Harder to put into words that it is to do.)

I thought it was just me, but none of us are seeing the picture of the mute. It says, "This folder is currently empty."

We would like to see it really, I didn't know they had such a thing, I also see no advantage to using a mute like that.

A mute that slips on & off so easily on the bridge would be much easier to use in my opinion.

Millie

When I first got one of the mutes you are talking about --I'm sure it's the same -- a convoluted looking wire thing with three brass rollers in plastic tube arched something like a bridge -- I also couldn't figure how to attach it.

It looks so much more complicated than it is. As if the strings should go inside the descending loops of wire.

It's very simple. Tube arched like bridge, facing bridge. Lower the left side foot so that the D string is snug against it. Push a little and push down and the right side foot will catch the A string.

The strings simply sit between the to "feet."