Maestronet Forums

Broken sound post--emergency

Theresa

--My daughter's sound post in her viola broke. She has three days till she leaves for Thanksgiving break. I've told her I don't think she should play her viola, though her viola teacher said to just play it in orchestra. I don't think she should play it at all. It's a very good viola, and I would think playing without the sound post would put too much pressure on it.

Please advise quickly if possible.

Many thanks,

Theresa

My daughter tells me the sound post is broken. I don't know since she's currently in NY and I'm here in VA.

I will paste what's been written here and email it to her. I wish someone could enumerate the problems that could result in playing a stringed instrument without a sound post

so that she could take what's been written to her viola teacher. A long time ago, I read something on the subject--probably here on Maestronet--but I cannot remember the details.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

Best regards,

Theresa

Tonight on Fox...

Out of control viola players!

An amazingly reckless teen, with NO soundpost!

An incredible string quartet...with NO violins!

What will happen when an infestation of bow bugs come in contact with a pair of greasy viola bows... you have to watch!

And a grand finale that will absolutely blow you away!

Tonight only, at 9, on FOX!

To me it sounds like they just need headcount and have an utter contempt for the instrument and the music. Even if a cheap, heavy viola could stand the pressure from the bridge, the instrument would not merely sound bad; it would sound like nothing at all. With a good viola she should just ease off on the strings and 'air bow.'

I'm sorry, I've never heard such ridiculous advice from a teacher.

I have seen soundpost standing but with a crack separation in them,like the House of Usher with a great fissure running through it and about to fall! Surprising the one I looked at still had great sound. This might be the source of the many experiments with muliple sound posts that I am aways reading about.