Maestronet Forums

Who is your favorite violinist?

ysaye

Lots:

Perlman for his legato

Sitkovetsky for his brilliance

Ginette Neveu for her Sibelius

Menuhin for his humanness

Hilary Hahn for her 'old head on young shoulders' (not that she looks old!)

Andrew Manze for livening up early music

Kennedy for being so 'in your face'

and even Vanessa Mae for bringing the violin to so many people who wouldn't otherwise listen

Plus a few dozen others smile.gif

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by ysaye:

Yeah, what happened to Aaron Rosand? Is there anyone who is captivated by him?

I think Rosand is quite remarkable. He has a clear and smooth tone and his pitch is more than perfect. However, I think his emotions leave something to be desired. I heard him perform the Beethoven violin concerto awhile back and it was too flat and shallow. I was nearly asleep on the shoulder of the stranger sitting next to me by the time it was over (some old guy sitting behind me was actually snoring on the off beats, it was rather amusing).

quote:

Originally posted by HuangKaiVun:

It applies to most violinists in history.

Except whom? (I mean other than you, of course smile.gif) Ysaye, Heifetz, Milstein, Ricci...? (If you are talking about "attitude")

[This message has been edited by stewarts (edited 05-06-2000).]

Sorry, I meant Dimitry Sitkovetsky. I've heard hin perform a few times in the Seattle International music festival (now defunct). He's a thoughtful and inovative musician. His father (Julian) I know only through a recording of Sibelius concerto - but he was famed for his wonderful sound production. While I like Dimitry, I'm not sure his sound is anything special.

quote:

Originally posted by Kath:

I keep Pekka Kuusisto also as my "favourite" boy. He is wonderful violinist.

Goodies Kath! That is just wonderful!! smile.gif Now we are (at least) three in here, who like him: you , me and Fidla laugh.gif

Have you heard him live?

quote:

Originally posted by Violina:

Goodies Kath! That is just wonderful!!
smile.gif
Now we are (at least) three in here, who like him: you , me and Fidla
laugh.gif

Have you heard him live?

Yes, I have heard him live!! And in fact I am going to go listen his church concert today smile.gif

Heifetz(Tchaik, Vitali Chacconne w/ organ), Milstein(Bruch, Brahms). Unbeleivable.

Living: Shaham, Perlman, Kyung Wha Chung

I actually had the pleasure of playing Leopold Auer's 1690 Stradivari (currently in the possesion of Eunice Lee.) I felt honored and stupified all at the same time!

quote:

Originally posted by Elisabeth:

For years I felt that Heifetz was second only to God, and Erica Morini wasn't far behind. In my teen years I had the wildest crushes on James Buswell and Charles Castleman after hearing them at recitals. They were college age at that time but they were unaware that I existed.

I also liked Buswell in those days. I was only 5 or so, so I can't know if my enthusiasm was justified. He did jump around a lot, though, and that made it interesting.

I also at that time lived down the street from a synagogue that used to put on the most incredible benefit recitals. The Menuhins and David Oistrakh were two of the featured artists--- shame on me for not remembering more of those evenings!

quote:

Originally posted by Violina:

Yes, I have heard him live!! And in fact I am going to go listen his church concert today smile.gif

[/b]

Oooooo!!! Last time I heard him live was at the Sibelius Academy in April:-) He was marvellous, as usual!

Where was that church concert? What did he play?

Öhöm, taidat muuten olla suomalainen? ;-)

[/b]

The concert was in Tampere. He played Bach and as great as usual! In fact I know Pekka, we have some common friends.

Joo, olen suomalainen smile.gif

Kath

[/b]

[/b]

Oooooo!!! Last time I heard him live was at the Sibelius Academy in April:-) He was marvellous, as usual!

Where was that church concert? What did he play?

Öhöm, taidat muuten olla suomalainen? ;-)

Originally posted by Kath:

The concert was in Tampere. He played Bach and as great as usual! In fact I know Pekka, we have some common friends.

Joo, olen suomalainen smile.gif

Kath

Iiik, tunnet Pekan? No onneks olkoon! Varmaan hauska tyyppi:-) Ainakin mimiikasta ja liikkeistä päätellen;-)

Huomasin just että se on "Kokkisodassa" tänään, ehheh!

Violiina