Sign in to follow this  
nemesis

Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No2

Hello Nemesis,

I haven't been here in over a year. I haven't played this piece in many years and you bring back fond memories. When I studied Liszt the thought was the pieces were not all that great but more of a technique builder. I'm glad those thoughts are changed now. Try some of the other Rapsodies, like 9 or 11, both are fantastic to perform.

I can't compare the Liszt to the piece you mention because I'm not at the voilin level to know, lol.

I haven't played Ziguerwisen, but I have read through it and messed around with it, I am far better at piano then I am at violin, but I would have to say in my own opinion the liszt is harder. I would like to be able to give some more insightful comments on the matter, but I don't have a copy of Zigerweisen to compare the two pieces. But, hey thats one opinion, it really depends on your overall strenghs as a pianist to say the liszt is hard or not.

It's easy to play notes but to play any piece properly is difficult. I would say that each of these pieces is as difficult when properly executed as the other. Both have gypsy themes and both are showy but great pieces. Incidentally I've noted that a number of cartoons have employed the Liszt as an integral part of the cartoon itself.

I speak as a violinist who also plays piano, and I don't play piano nearly as well, but I'd have to say the Liszt is much harder. It's a lot longer, with several more themes, etc. Zigeunerweisen is the type of show piece that could be picked up in a matter of a week or two, while the Rhapsodies seem to have a lot more substance to them. A violin equivalent of Rhapsody No. 2 might be Ravel's Tzigane, though.

In reply to:

Incidentally I've noted that a number of cartoons have employed the Liszt as an integral part of the cartoon itself.

Yeah, the reason my pianist has never learned the 2nd rhapsody. He does No. 12 really well though.

Well, I'm a violinist, as well as a pianist (started violin at age 10 and piano at age 4). Actually, Ravel's Tzigane isn't that hard, It's just a showpiece which makes audience think it's incredibly difficult. I think the Liszt Rhapsody 2, is as hard as the Zigeunerweisen. I can play both the Zigeu and the Liszt, and I think both of them are equally diffficult. Both of them are a challenge.

Nah, the #2 difficulty wise is only comparable really only to the Ernst Pieces - the Erlking and last rose of summer. Those pieces are the two most difficult, in many violinists opinions, pieces ever written. And in my opinion Erkling is the hardest of the two.

Are ya'll saying that the rhapsody (2) is the most difficult piece for piano?

Where have I been? I've been... busy! I'm real involved with the Music scene here in Toronto all of the sudden, and loving every second of it. As a matter of fact, I have a concert at Roy Thompson (where the TSO) and we're playing a back to back, and then next Tuesady we have our main performance! cant wait!!

-P

howve u been?