Maestronet Forums

Replacing Hygrometer in case

Metro

What is the best method to replace a hygrometer in a case. The one that is in does not work, and I am putting a new one in. I assume it is glued in, but any tricks that I should be aware of to take it off, and any tricks on what type of glue to put the new one on with?

Thanks for any information!

The little round hygrometer should just pull out (or off). It is probably just secured with a little hot glue or double sided tape. They are almost worthless even when they do work. They are very slow to react, and highly inacurate.

My suggestion would be to replace it with a digital hygrometer. These are usually a little larger than the round ones, so you can cover up where it was.

I agree with "nashville violins" that these hygrometers aren't very accurate; they're only good for getting a general idea of conditions and a digital one is much better. However if you're planning on replacing yours with another analog one, before you toss the old hygrometer you might want to see if it simply needs calibrating; on a decent analog hygrometer there's typically an adjustment screw on the back. I had this problem with mine and found the following instructions for calibrating it on a cigar afficionado website:

you need a clear tupperware-type container with a tight-fitting lid, a shallow open container like a bottlecap, and a teaspoon of table salt. Put the salt in the small container then add a few drops of water to the salt so it's damp, but don't add so much that the salt dissolves. Put the cap with the salt in the tupperware container, then put the hygrometer in so that it's visible with the container closed. Seal the container and let the whole thing sit for at least 6 hours, then check the hygrometer without opening the container. It should read 75%. If not, take it out, turn the adjuster screw on the back and repeat the above process. Hope this helps. -Steve

Thanks for the replies...That is interesting information on how to recalibrate. The one I have hasn't even moved though. Are there any Digital Hygrometers you might recommend? I have seen some that keep a history and such of the high's and low's, of the humidity levels, and one I saw in a guitar magazine from planet-waves.com had these features and an indicator that the level had dropped and you needed to pay attention, basically. Other than that I am not familiar with the others. I'm also conserned about it falling off and scratching my violin. I haven't taking the other off yet to see how much room there is to attach a different type.

Metro, mine had been stuck at about 80% for a while (actually since I acquired the case). I live in an area with little variation in humidity so don't really rely on a hygrometer, but was finally getting around to replacing the stuck unit when I happened on the calibration instructions I posted, and fiddling with it loosened it up to where it now seems to be working correctly. I don't have any suggestions regarding digital hygrometers but you might want to check out some websites that deal in cigars & accessories; they typically have a wide selection of different hygrometers. -Steve