Maestronet Forums

Pirastro Eudoxa & Obligato

Kath

These are both very fine strings. However, if you are relatively new to violin, the experience of using Eudoxa (or Olive - or Wonddertone - or Kaplan) gut strings will be even newer and possibly unnerving.

Eudoxa are gut strings, and gut strings do not stay in tune if there is even the slightest change in humidity. Also, any temperature change changes the moisture content of the air, and thus that of the strings, and thus the intonation.

Gut strings cannot be used with fine tuners, only the E in the set can.

The Obigatos are synthetic strings, like most other string brands on the market today. They are wonderful, powerful strings on most instruments, have lots of high overtones that help project the sound, like Olives, with plenty of fundamental tone (on most instruments). The "stark" Obligatos are even more powerful than the "medium" and have a G string the rivals the Olive (16 gauge) quite well.

I must add, that I do have one violin (a pretty good one) that does not do well with Obligato strings.

I'm about to post about that under a separate topic (Thomastid-Infeld) strings).

Andy

Eudoxa is a gut-core string and Obligato is a composite-core strings. Using Eudoxa can be tricky if you live in harsh (too hot/cold, or dry/humid) climate. Those gut strings go berserk with sudden climate changes.

Obligato strings are much more stable, and have similar feel to gut-cored strings. But if you want to try Eudoxa, go for it. It sounds beautifully mellow and rich on my violin. I have used both and enjoyed both of them. I like Eudoxa E a bit better than Obligato E because it does not whistle as much.

The worst thing with gut strings: Stage lights! You go from what is usually a pretty cool and often dry green room, to the heat of stage lights, and then you sweat, getting moisture on the strings to boot, and the strings decide that you didn't *really* want to do anything besides tune during this concert, did you?

I just switched to Eudoxa from Dominent.

This is my second start and I am used to the 'gut' strings, so I don't mind fussing with them.

My older violin sounds much better with the Eudoxa strings. Maybe it's just me. I like the mellower, less brght sound that the instrument makes now. IMHO, I think the violin likes them better too.

I'm not going to be repetitious on much which has been written on the Obligatos, but one of my daughter's first comments upon restringing her violin was that she could play the D slower and quieter than with any other string she's tried (I don't have the inventory). The prior D was a Dominant.

Thanks for comments!

I bought Eudoxa's G, D & a and E string is Obligato.

That seems to be very good solution and I think I have wonderful sound in my violin now.

I am relatively new in violin playing - I have played just a few months but I have been moving on quite quickly (in my opinion, as well as my teacher's) so I have some kind of touch of sound of violin and so.

I try to remember check the humidity that it stays on same level all the time.

Thanks!

Kath

Eudoxa is great but it takes longer for it to break in. It is also extremely sensitive to both heat and humidity. I would release the tension when I know it will undergo temperature or humidity changes. I would not put one of those humid tubes in there as the violin expand it stretches the gut…

I did purchase a set of the Obligato strings but I have not put them on since I love the gut so much.