Sign in to follow this  
DR. S

Frank V. Henderson Bow

I've tried this before and never gotten a response. I have a wonderful viola bow made for me by the late Frank V. Henderson in Seattle - about 1981. I am curious about it as I was once told that he wrote one of the 2 primary books used by bowmakers as reference in their art. I have found out of print copies of the book on the internet and they are quite expensive. What are his bows worth now? I have not found one listed on the internet. Mine was one of his last bows.

Hi,

I don't know about the value of your bow, but I know some about Frank Henderson. My first master in learning violin making was Vernon Lear who is Frank's Grandson. Vernon is a violin maker living in Auburn Washington. I have played a few of Frank's bow's and one of his violins (he made both). Frank was an amateur maker as he owned a large building company. Vernon inherited all his tools and books. His book he wrote is obscure and no bow makers I know have read it. I hope this info is interesting to you. Ben.

Do you still have the FV hendrson bow.  If so, would you sell it.  I am his nephew.  I still live near the ranch he was raised on.  I have 2 of his fiddles, his book and no bow.  Thank you for your consideration.  406-386-2264

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2002 at 2:38 PM, DR. S said:

...What are his bows worth now?...

His bows have sold at auction for about $250 to $1000, with most going for $700 to $900.

On 1/11/2018 at 6:29 AM, Brad Dorsey said:

His bows have sold at auction for about $250 to $1000, with most going for $700 to $900.

Do you know of any of his stuff coming up for sale.  Also, Vernon Lear is my cousin and would like a fiddle and bow made by him.

I don't know of any.  Since he was an American maker, his stuff would be most likely to appear in musical instrument auctions in this country.  If you contact Skinner and Tarisio, I expect that they would send you e-mail notifications of upcoming instrument auctions.