Maestronet Forums

Any Wittner metronome users out there?

Neighbor's Bane

I was thinking about getting the little wind-up one, the "Wittner Super Mini Taktell." I'd be schlepping it on my bike between work and home a lot and smaller really would be better. Does anyone here use one of those? Do you find that it's loud enough? My second choice would be the somewhat larger "Taktell Piccolo." I've been tempted to get the battery-powered Seiko that's been widely recommended on this board, but I'd like to try to avoid using batteries where I can.

I got my Super Mini in 1977 and its still works. The sound isn't loud enough for me, and I find it annoying to have to rewind it every few minutes. Recently I bought a battery operated metronome that clips on to the stand. It is much more convenient, although the squeaky sound of the beep is unpleasant.

I just traded in my Boss miniature metronome (fits in violin case easily) for the Boss that 'Talks!' A little bigger, fits in side pocket of the violin case, it has a voice that shouts out the count, you control the volume, accent and emphasis. To me, this is the best way to keep track of true count. Uses one 9v that lasts for years. By the way, I've never had to replace a metronome battery - they last that long.

"One and Two and Three and Four..."

What I like is that it keeps me from wandering from the count in each bar: skip one beat and the rest of the whole song is off, kind of thing.

I also have a Super Mini Taktell, which I received as a gift around 1980. It's a good little metronome. I don't have any problem with the loudness but it is a minor annoyance to have to stop and rewind it. If I ever have to replace it I'll probably go with an electronic one but I'm not dissatisfied with this one. -Steve

Reading this I thought "What a brilliant idea" and then I remembered I have a metronome button on my digital piano, and it will count in several languages. Never thought about using it along with my violin practice before.

So for "Salut D'Amour" I can get it to do "un, deux, trois etc" and for "Caprice Basque" (If only I could play it ) "Uno, dos, tres, cuatro etc"

Must go and try it right now!!

Jane

The drummer for a group I play with keeps impeccable timing for the songs that we play. His work is foundational and brings much success to our playing together as a group. I asked him "How does one learn the art of keeping rhythm going?" He replied "Count."

It is work, but I believe that learning to play with good rhythm means that you must hear the count and rehearse the count out loud as well.

The speaking metronome is the best rhythm instruction assistance I have found thus far.