Maestronet Forums

Glasser composite bow in red?

jbgilm

It's not a Glasser (I don't believe those come in colors yet), and I'm assuming you are looking for that price range, so check this out. The only other color bows I personally know of are the Coda line and they are pricey.

Color Composite Bows

I'm not familiar with these bows but perhaps someone else here has one and could give you some feedback.

The SouthWest Strings catalog (both paper and on-line) definitely does not call these "colored composite bows" "Glasser " bows. And the "list" price shown is different and lower than for the standard brown Glasser Composite bows.

The "Musicary" bows come in colors, but they are priced nearly 4 times higher than the Glasser Composite. I find the Musicary to be pretty good. They feel stiffer playing than the Glasser, but my bending measurements actually show they are not as stiff. I find the Musicary better for more advanced players - they are harder to play, but may have a more substantial tone on some instruments.

I was amazed by the Glasser Composite bows when they were first marketed and I still find them a wonderful bow that will help students learn to use a conventional properly made pernambuco or composite bow and get good results with many off-string strokes. Their playing qualities (especially their sound) are very sensitive to the amount of hair in them. I have owned them for violin, viola and cello.

Andy

In reply to:

The SouthWest Strings catalog (both paper and on-line) definitely does not call these "colored composite bows" "Glasser " bows. And the "list" price shown is different and lower than for the standard brown Glasser Composite bows.

Thanks Andy. I didn't think I saw any colors available in the Glassers, only in the ones in that link I posted, which definitely are not Glassers.

Andrew - very interesting observations. My Glasser is a very stiff stick indeed, yet when playing it doesn't feel it, and plays and sounds better than any bow which costs so little and looks so bad deserves to. It has a lot of hair in it. I think they must deliberately paint them 'milk chocolate' brown to look cheap, which is a pity. It has an interesting curve - almost constant, with the apex in the middle.

The Musicary bows I tried here in UK had relatively soft and whippy sticks (for a composite bow), maybe they send different ones to the US?