Sign in to follow this  
Shermanfiddle

Severe Arthritis

I'm afraid that I've ask this question before, but did not receive any answers back. So this time I'm really in need of your help. Time is running out for me, as I will have a total shoulder replacement next month. I would like to know if there are ANY violinist who have had a complete shoulder replacement? Surely there must be someone out there who knows of someone who has had this proceedure? Im I the only one who has arthritis in their shoulder. My question is..Does it really work? Are you happy with the results? Can you still play the violin? Hoping for a kind person to respond to my perdicament.

Thanks,

Sherman

I haven't had the joint replaced yet but am considering it. I have very bad arthritis in my right shoulder; the doctor said I have almost no cartiledge left. I sometimes get pain just shifting the gears in my car. I'm only 34 and I hate surgery, so it is something I have to really think about. I started taking Glucosomine and Chondroitin; hopefully they will help. If you get your shoulder replaced, please let me know how it goes. Also, since you are in Lakewood, I'd be interested in knowing who does the procedure for you.

I know what you're going through. I've just recently started playing again after a severe elbow injury (dislocated, shredded ligaments on both sides, shattered bones) and, as a result have developed shoulder problems. I don't know if there is a bone chip or rotator cuff damage, but when I rotate it there are audible pops and crunches. It doesn't exactly hurt, but it doesn't feel good. I'm only 21 and right now I can play through the pain, but what about 5 or 10 years from now... I don't know if the added stress of playing is worth it, and that's depressing as hell.

I've known violinists and violists who have come back all sorts of severe injuries and given time were able to play up to their pre-injury level.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Ben