HoldMeThrillMe

How to play with long fake fingernails

I have been struggling with my style of playing since I got my nails done. Can you guys tell me what your experience is with this if you have ever experienced what I'm going through?

PS Only valid suggestions, thanks

caso   

If your question is valid, there is no suggestion. It is simple, you choose. Either you can have long fingernails, OR you can play violin. There is no way that you can have a correct bow hold or correct tension on the strings with long fingernails. I do have a funny story to add though. When I finally got to have my first lesson ever, my new teacher said she could see me and start our weekly lessons that very afternoon in about 2 hours. Taking off a set of fake nails that quickly was a feat!

Go Dremel tool!!

If you are playing the banjo, ask Dolly Parton. She manages nicely with them. If it's the violin, melt them suckers off post haste. Besides, long (fake) nails are passe these days, if you are into being a fashion diva, that is.

Sincerely,

Nubby Nails

PS-I was quite serious with the Dolly Parton comment!

fubbi2   

I don't think Mephistowaltz was being nasty. He/She was right on the money. It's really a dumb question asked by someone with no clue about the nature of violin playing. (Or, perhaps someone is just pulling our chain.) NOW they have a clue, and can make their choice.

I deal with this so regularly it's sometimes all I can do to remember that the person I'm talking to might be new to violin. There's a difference between honestly not knowing something and true ignorance, which is always intentional. (Yeah - IGNORING something is a purposeful behavior.)

I take a deep breath. If there is an adult-age person involved, I sometimes tell the Rosalyn Carter story.

During Jimmy Carter's presidency, a violin teacher was hired to teach Amy at the White House. Amidst the rather intimidating environment of Secret Service agents and such, this distinguished teacher began the usual regimen of first showing the child's mother how to hold the violin. Rosalyn caught on quickly, but the teacher was scrambling for words about her magnificent manicure. In a heartbeat, the First Lady volunteered, "Oh, I see I'm going to have to cut my nails."

Special thanks to HoldMeThrillMe for giving us a thread for venting our spleen while agreeing. Perhaps funny pictures would even be in order.

Go ahead, tell me to learn to use my own picture-thingy and soundclip-thingy. Imagine the sounds a well trained bow arm could belt out on a good fiddle while playing flatfinger. Hee-hee-hee. Pick a piece.

D_A   

I always tell my students that they can leave the long nails on the left thumb and the middle three fingers of the bow hand (so long as they are not so long as to interfere with bowing at the frog!

In reply to:

During Jimmy Carter's presidency, a violin teacher was hired to teach Amy at the White House. Amidst the rather intimidating environment of Secret Service agents and such, this distinguished teacher began the usual regimen of first showing the child's mother how to hold the violin. Rosalyn caught on quickly, but the teacher was scrambling for words about her magnificent manicure. In a heartbeat, the First Lady volunteered, "Oh, I see I'm going to have to cut my nails."

A bit off topic, Amy Carters violin practice buddy was Anna Gastmeyer of SNL (well she's leaving). Gastmeyer was a lot better than Amy Carter though.

Maybe we're missing something here. Like what it's like when your nails get just a little too long after you've trimmed them, and you have a big gig coming up. And you keep meaning to trim them but keep forgetting. And then you're up on stage and - - - the guitar player asks to borrow your keys with the trimmer on them.

And what about when you just say hey - - I'll try to play in third position with my first finger long nail 'cause I keep forgetting to trim it - - OK I remember now. Snip snip snip; Ah.

-dogma

Kabal   

The first three posts are by the same person. Hold me thrill me is also One tree hill, and "an Amateur". I dont think yall need to respond, it is obviously a joke by someone who has lot's of free time.

You might notice that "posters" 2 and 3 have been deactivated...

The fact that three or so of the people who are "new" and who are posting rather strange messages seem to always be online at the same time. Posting question/answer within minutes. Not just in this thread, but in others as well.

Split personality disorder.