Maestronet Forums

Info on an italian Violin (I think)

Taxus

Hi everyone Long time no post! (I have been very involved getting ready for my first child, Few more days ).

I found an italian violin in a junk shop (I was looking for a winter project) and was wondering if anyone had any information about the maker.

Label:

Hand Written

Carantino Marino (not sure about the first name)

Facit in

Naples 5-4 1928 (could also read naplei)

I also got another one that I think is German ,it simply labled "The Soloist". the reason I think that it is German is that the pattern seems to be the exact measurments (Curves , F-Hole pattern, Scrole is exact duplicate) of another German one I have ,

any info ???

Ok I am wavering again on if it has a fake label or not.

The violin has some very nice quality (and probably expensive) work done on it.

Plus I can not see any signs of the label being replaced

(There is a small tear and I can see under the label)

The violin appears to be hand made (Just has a different look about it)

I looked for label wording online ad found similar wording (of course they could be fake too )

Either way it is a nice, consistent sounding violin (defiantly worth the $75 bucks I paid)

What are some of the subtle signs of a fake label?

Taxus,

I'm certainly no expert, but when I first saw your post I had a quick look through my copy of Marlin Brinser's little booklet "Labels, Addresses and Signatures of 20th Century Italian Violin Makers". I'm afraid I didn't find any match. The closest is Capicchioni Marino (Cappichioni is the surname I think) and a quick on-line search revealed that he was a very esteemed maker (he made a fiddle for Menuhin for example). Though I'd be delighted, I don't think this is your man.

p.s If anyone is selling a copy of Brinser's "Dictionary of 20th Century Italian Violin Makers and Import Dealer's Scrapbook" let me know. It seems to be as rare as hens teeth.

Scribe