Maestronet Forums

How do you cut "your" f holes?

canofspam123

So it is a regular bit with a tip like a spade

bit?In other words you take a regular bit and

grind one slot in each "tooth"(refering to the

two "teeth" that actually do the cutting).

You end up with a bit with three points(one

small center and two small cutters).

What size of bit do you start with?

Another name for a spur bit is a brad-point bit. I think Black & Decker sells a set in a box now, but they're not quite the right configuration--not pointy enough, and not big enough spurs. Here's another source: http://www.bealltool.com/drill.htm

I have a set like Dick sells. It's not worth the money, in my opinion.

How much cheaper can you get than regrinding a two-buck drill bit? But anyway, I guess it's possible to cut a round hole with a knife, but it would be an advanced skill that a neophyte most likely couldn't accomplish. A number of violin makers have done just that, and it looks pretty lame, though supposedly the ever-fussy French habitually did it. :-)

As for a peg reamer--it's not really an efficient cutting tool--it more torments peg holes to get larger than cuts them, and in spruce it makes a mess.

if you have access to lathe its easy to make. turn major diameter to the size of f hole desired. drill or bore hole in this cylinder about half inch in. make the wall thickness a minimum. grind a chamfer on the inside so now you have a sharp cylinder like a cork borer. then cut a few thin kerfs through the cylinder end across the end. when you rotate this back and forth you quickly cut a true nicely finished cut . clean out sawdust often as you go. works good

I think drilling the eyes of the f`s has it`s uses but what if the eyes are not perfectly round for that model?

Plus you still have to carve out the rest of the f-hole with a knife anyway.

It`s not really much more difficult then finishing the corners of the instrument or the scroll and certainly easier then doing a bridge.

I think if one is very serious about learning violin making it would be best to develope the knife skills.

I use a very fine bladed fret saw to create enough working room for my knives. The knife for the eyes is 4 mm wide with a very sharp angle, the knife for the rest of the f-hole is 6mm wide--not such a sharp angle. Make these as sharp as possible of course and consider your direction of cut to avoid any breakouts.The direction of cut changes very often--4 in a circle.

If you want to try the knife method but are afraid it won`t come out as you like then get a thin piece of wood and practice cutting circles and f-holes in it.