ground poll (again!)

MANFIO

What are you using? I`m using Sacconi`s white egg, arabic gum, honey and sugar recipe. Most of the times it works very well, but sometimes it does get cloudy and opaque. I`m thinking about adding alum to it. Fortunaly, this opacity always happened with instruments that sounded not all that good.

I`m curious about NRI rosin oil and Rubio ground. Can you tell me something about your experience with these products?

Currently, I have used nothing as a ground. Only rubbing the wood down with horsetail grass and then an agate. Put the instrument in the UV light to tan for a while, and apply two coats of clear varnish. Bease book stuff.

I am also trying a very little bit of medcinal lavender oil. Again sun tanned wood, and then a touch of lavender, let sit in the sun for a few days, then the ground coat of clear varnish.

Oh, I am still working on the magic "fungus" ground.wink.gif

Toad: is this lavender oil what is called in Cremona "olio di spigo lavandato", sold in Morassi`s shop?

In a book about Sesto Rochi, he says that he used an alcool/spike oil/sandarac solution as a ground.

Pollens also say something about polishing the wood (as if to be gilded) with agate or other stone prior to varnish.

Nope not from Morassi's shop, its from the Swedish Apotek, or pharmacy.

I have no idea of the Italina stuff, I didn't learn that there only carved tops, backs, and scrolls for them, its just medicinal Lavender oil.

On a side note, I am unaware of what the medcinal purposes of htis stuff are, but I would be interested in finding out. I know it can be used in aromatherapy. Good for one of the chakras I beleave??

Step one: gently rub volcanic ash into the wood with the grain. Brush off any residue that didn't go into the pours of the wood.

Step two: Blend an eggwhite, one teaspoon of whole milk and two tablespoons of pure honey (organic with no preservatives).

Step three: Thin the mixture to a water like consistency with 100 proof grain alcohol. Let set overnight covered.

Step four: apply the mixture with a fine sable brush against the grain. While the first coat is still damp, apply a second coat.

Step five: while the second coat is still wet, ignite with a clear orange flame from a smokeless candle. Use appropriate fire proof clothing for this stage. Caution, do not do this indoors or outside. The flame will engulf the instrument and fuse the sugar and ash to the wood fibers. Do not let blacken! This in not for cajun music. Put out the flame with pure, screened, white sand. This is how the masters did it in Italy.

Manfio

I use your "vernice" bianca on the inside.

On the outside I use Fulton's oxidized turpentine (heavy, thick yellow oil) which I leave in the sun for at least 21 days, till it's absolutely dry and has no smell. Over this I apply "vernice bianca".

The application and appearance of varnish after this is much enhanced, as is the sound.

fidlefadle: have you ever tried the other types of rosin oil? What made you decide to use the thin type? You call yourself "inexperienced amateur". How many instruments have you made? How many are being professionaly used? I know some amateur instruments that are breathtaking.

manfio, when

I say Thin, I mean thin coat, But type III is actually the thickest of the three. read about this on the NRI website. I thin it with mineral spirits, heat it and wipe of excess with a lint free material. it doesn't dry very well.

I call myself an inexperienced amatuer, I am working on # 8

My instruments unforunately have taken only my own breath. I gave on to a professional fiddler, and he is quite happy with it, and he is soon to cut a CD, which is exciting. Thanks Manny

Bud

Manfio, I am almost sure that olio di spigo lavandato is spike oil it is made of spike lavender.The latin name of laveder is lavandula vera and the spike lavender is lavandula spika.There are almost no differences between them or at least no differences when using like a solvents for resins.

I have used the following mixture for ground: 5 parts sandarac dissolved in 8 parts lavender oil.Works good and smells good.

Stepan: you are right, they are the same stuff. I`m thinking about trying Sesto Rochi`s recipe (alcool, spike oil, sandarac). What`s the difference between using alcool and spike oil? Spike oil is very important when using coloured varnish, but here the ground is transparent.

PS.: we have many many musicians from Bulgaria here in our State Orchestra (OSESP). It seems that our sallaries, althought very low if compared with those offered in Europe or North America, are extremely high if compared to the salaries offered in Bulgaria. Irina Kodin, a fine bulgarian player, is trying one of my last violins.

Manfio,the recipe what I mentioned before is bee honey like and I rub it in sparingly with a lint-free cloth .This mixture works good both as pore filler and ground.

I suppose three reasons some may add alcohol to this recipe.To be easyer applied with brush,to dissolve sandarac easyer,to fasten a bit drying time.Spike oil and lavender oil evaporates ,but remain some of the ingredients what make the coat more flexible.I was thinking about pine oil as better sovent,but will stay traditionalist for now.

I don't know Irina,but her name sounds more Russian but know many my clients from Plovdiv who moved to Brasil.I am sure the reason is the annual Carnival there smile.gif what I can't offer them.

Stepan: are your friends here in Sao Paulo? Are they playing your violins? I would like to know them.

Some bulgarians are also playing in Manaus, the capital of the Amazon State, it's very near, about 5.000 kilometers from here... I've never been there. Venice is much more familiar to me than Manaus...

Well, besides the carnival, we have the sun during the whole year from 6 PM to 6 (or even 7) AM, temperatures ranging from 08 (just a few days in the winter) to 28 Celsius degrees, a beatifull new theatre that was specialy made to receive the orchestra. Among the soloists of this season we have soloists like Slomo Mintz, Chantall Juillet, Rene Capouçon, Lara St John, Antonio Menezes, Lynn Harrel, etc. I think your friends are having great fun here indeed.

Stepan: I`ll try it. I like the idea of honey consistency. I`ll check if your violin is playing here in Sao Paulo. The principal viola of this orchestra uses a MANFIO viola. They are going to make a tour to the USA, with 26 concerts. It`s a very good orchestra.