Maestronet Forums

What to do in New York

racerex

While you're there, take a walk over to Patelson's Music on West 56th (behind Carnegie Hall, which is on 7th Avenue). You can also take a tour of Carnegie Hall. And down the street, if you are interested in pianos at all, go to the great shrine -- Steinway Hall -- even if you don't play, it is worth the experience. In Carnegie Towers on the 9th floor, is Bruce St. Cyr violins -- nice to vist, and for $5 you can buy a cake of Millant-Deroux rosin with a Carnegie Hall label on it!

Have fun! New York in the summer is GREAT!

Thanks guys for the great ideas!! Steinway Hall? I would be very interested, especially since I'm going with my mom (I should say that I'm going with her) and we both play the piano. I'm going to surprise her with some of these places though and not tell her where we're going until we're there.

By the way, for anyone who is interested, it seems airfares are low right now, my mom got a deal for a senior citizen and a companion for about $500.00 from the West coast to the East, roundtrip on ATA.

But the Mostly Mozart concerts that don't involve the festival orchestra are still going on.

Gotta second rainyann's suggestion of Bargemusic - definitely the best place in NYC to hear concerts. Unique, fun - you'll be sitting 10-20 feet away from the players - some of the best musicians in the world. Whenever people from out of town visit me I drag them to Bargemusic. All have enjoyed it immensely.

I also would have recommended Patelson's & Carnegie Hall plus the Russian Tea Room... unfortunately they have apparently closed down (the Tea Room, that is).

Next I would have recommended Lincoln Center for the Mostly Mozart Festival.. so I'll just shut up now before something else blows up