Maestronet Forums

Thank You/ Goodbye Gift for Violinist

violist87

We have a Violinist come to our school and help us with our music, and its getting towards the end of school and I was wanting to get her an appreciation gift. Shes helped us SOO MUCH! Any suggestions on what I should get her. If it matters any, shes a college music major and in our city's Philharmonic

A set of nice violin strings are always a winner. The Infeld Red G, Blue D, Dominant A and gold Olive E are a great set - up.... or Evah Pirazzi's. How about the rosin that comes in a fancy wooden box; I forget the maker ( check strings magazine)- this keepsake would last a long time.

One of the presents I gave, was a very nice 'architecture' pencil... I really have a blank on the english name right now, but you push a button (or the top) and the lead of the pencil comes out, and since he does many markings on scores etc., he really appreciated it.

Another present he really appreciated was the 'Art of the Violin' DVD, but that is because I'm in Spain and it is much harder to come by and I figured he didn't have it.

Try to think of something that is both useful and at the same time touching.

I think strings or rosin is delicate because I'm sure your teacher already has her favourites, unless you find a 'rare' brand which might be interesting to try. Another idea is 'rare - not so common' recordings, books etc.

Have a look at her strings - then work out what they are (if you don't recognise the brand, try http://www.wilderdavis.com/ or http://www.quinnviolins.com/ )

Or alternatively, have a chat to her about which of the "new generation" strings she might like to try (by this I mean Evahs, Obligatos, Violinos, Infeld red/blue etc). Chances are she won't have tried them all - and who doesn't like experimenting with strings? wink.gif

But if you want to play it safe and get her something you *know* she'll like, go with a set of her current strings. Everyone likes free strings! smile.gif

I would say that a nice card with a meaningful handwritten note would probably be the most appreciated gift of all. But if you want to go with something from a store, how about a CD or a gift certificate to a store that sells classical CDs? Another useful gift would be a score/part you know she's been wanting to buy or a gift certificate to a shop that carries music scores. Musicians are always wanting to get the score for something and the prices on those really add up after a while.

I think strings and rosin are too risky unless you know exactly what brands and gauges she uses. Experienced violinists tend to be very loyal to their strings/rosin and may not want to experiment.

You mentioned she's a music major in college. As a broke college student myself, I think the gift certificate idea is excellent! The cost of strings, sheet music, and other necessary accessories adds up quickly... and when most of your money is going toward tuition and books and stuff, being able to save a few bucks on music is very helpful!

shar gift certificates