Sign in to follow this  
Jeffie

"arabic, middle-eastern" sounding classical music

A few years ago, I was tuning my radio to the classical station and I happened to hear a piece of music that is arabic and middle eastern sounding, sort of like "aladdin"

It is definitely western classical violin music, but played in the "Aladdin" fashion. I really love it but sadly, the station failed to mention the title of the music

Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations for such music?

Maybe Scherherazade by Rimsky-Korsakov? It has a gorgeous concertmaster solo (which is almost always on the audition list for any concertmaster/associate concertmaster position).

I have recordings by both Philadelphia/Ormandy and Atlanta/Spano. They're both excellent.

Nope, that's not it

I have that piece by Rimsky already.

the piece I am talking about....when you hear it, it instantly transports you to a land of castles, sand dunes, deserts, magical flying carpets...:)

hmm...i will have to keep on searching then

Some early lute music would fit the bill -- not really in a 'film music arabesque' sense, perhaps more in a 'middle eastern folk' sense of the word. Hans Neuseidler's "Jüdentanz" has been recorded a lot. And much classical guitar music from Spain seems to bring the moorish history to mind...

on edit:

Ooooh! oooh!!! Polovetsian dances from Borodin's "Prince Igor"??? Kinda a chestnut, but I thought I'd mention it...

Richard Nanes' Rhapsodie Pathetique for Violin and Orchestra sounded this way to me, although perhaps more Jewish than Arabic sounding.

I had heard a piece exactly as you describe, but couldn't remember it...it's been on my mind...and it just came to me! Carl Nielsen's Aladdin! You can find a review on Amazon.com - I think that's the one!

No eli.  it is not Bolero.

I think I might know what Jeffie meant.  I have also heard such a piece on the radio on several late nights and because it was late at night there was no announcement on the title of the music.

It is a very beautiful piece, at an instant you will feel the great expanse of sand dunes in an isolated desert.  the pace is slow and majestic,  it reminds me of a scene in a movie ... like a journey in a vast desert.  absolutely beautiful.

I heard it a few years back and to date I am still looking for this piece of music.

If you know,  please email to me at jot.liner@gmail.com

Thanks!!!

Who knows what someone was listening to fifteen years ago, but it strikes me as kind-of amusing that no one considered that "'arabic middle-eastern' sounding classical music" could actually be Arabic (or Persian or Egyptian or Turkish or...) classical music played with European instruments or a middle eastern orchestra.  I guess it's unlikely that Um Kulthum's takht (orchestra) could have been what the OP heard on a regular classical European music radio station, but... maybe...

On 10/11/2017 at 11:27 PM, Dean 13 said:

maybe Kol Nidrei, Op. 47 by Max Brunch

Perhaps, is there a violin transcription? That's a cello work.  

Max Brunch was pretty good, and Earl Sandwich, who happened to be a predecessor might be the one the OP is searching for.  E. Sandwich wrote a little known work with Arabic theme material called Salam, Salami Baloney, Salam. It was scored for violin and nai flute and often featured in Warner Birthers cartoons. 

4 hours ago, Stephen Faulk said:

Perhaps, is there a violin transcription? That's a cello work.  

Max Brunch was pretty good, and Earl Sandwich, who happened to be a predecessor might be the one the OP is searching for.  E. Sandwich wrote a little known work with Arabic theme material called Salam, Salami Baloney, Salam. It was scored for violin and nai flute and often featured in Warner Birthers cartoons. 

Like!  :lol:

Hers, this is practically "classical music"now.... Maybe this is it :lol:

By the way the scales that gives westerners the "flavor" of the middle east is the harmonic minor scale, as well as certain "modal" scals like Dorian for example

You know the interesting thing about metal bands is that the lead guitarists are just like solo career violinists: Ultra Nerdy and super macho at the same time.

How do they do that? 

34 minutes ago, Stephen Faulk said:

Thank you, don't forget to tip the hostess on the way out. I'll be here through Jan. 7th. Two shows on Saturday....

Nothing like an old-fashioned, traditional, performance with pride and integrity.  Your using the real, live (to begin with), snakes instead of rubber ones really makes the act. :ph34r::lol: