Maestronet Forums

E.H. Roth Violas

Stephen  Fine

After a few months of fruitless seeking, I now look to do a little more tweaking. Can anyone out there brighter than a moth, tell me about a viola made up by Roth? Serialed, labelled, and branded too, I beg of help from possibly you. Will you please, will you please, will you please me, by enlightening my personage about brandmark 424E. The instrument was made ca. 1930, I was told this in a letter by E.H. Roth the Thirdy. Information appreciated... I beg of you reply, for if you do not, I surely shall die! This ends my poems as you no doubt surmise, I hope I'll be heralded by your replies...

• 11 years later...

After a few months of fruitless seeking, I now look to do a little more tweaking. Can anyone out there brighter than a moth, tell me about a viola made up by Roth? Serialed, labelled, and branded too, I beg of help from possibly you. Will you please, will you please, will you please me, by enlightening my personage about brandmark 424E. The instrument was made ca. 1930, I was told this in a letter by E.H. Roth the Thirdy. Information appreciated... I beg of you reply, for if you do not, I surely shall die! This ends my poems as you no doubt surmise, I hope I'll be heralded by your replies...

++++++++++++++++++

Ask the person who put it in. Without the help of this person you can just treat it as an inventory number. Its exact meaning only is anybody's guess.

If a shop has two similar models, they have to use some sort of identification. number and characters are most common.

The 1920/30 era Roth instruments can be quite nice and potentially valuable to some extent depending on the level on the instrument and the condition, level of quality is marked by the model/maker and year of the model on the label, the top instruments will bear the inked signature of E.H. Roth usually in red from the ones I have seen, each should also has the serial number and a brand at the center inside back - I have a coy of the catalog for the violins but it doesn't cover violas perhaps another member has this info for you.

Not sure about their violas, but I know on the Roth violins, the quality is signified by the model date. For example: if you have a circa 1920's to 1930's Strad model dated 1710 it is less finely made than one dated 1725 and the best ones are dated 1732 or 1734 I forget which, but you want the ones with the later 1700's date.