Maestronet Forums

Oh,--- I still can't get rid of, or find that horrid buzz!!!

Journey

Yes, I'm back again to share my woes. frown.gif I can't get rid of that buzz. I've tried everything!!! I can't even find the buzz, but it is there. I even cleaned the inside of my fiddle out last night, because I thought maybe there was something inside my fiddle. I took off the chinrest and shoulder rest, too, but it didn't stop. I had people hold certain places on my fiddle, too----but nothing.

So, I'm back here, and I am going to try to describe the buzz to you, for maybe you might be able to help me:

It sounds like it is coming from the fine tuners, because it sounds very close when I play. But, I have checked EVERYTHING on the fine tuners, so it can't be that. It doesn't buzz consistantly, nor on one certain string. It doesn't buzz when I first start a tune, but rather, it buzzes when I am more in the middle of the tune. It is a weird buzz-- it doesn't sound like any buzz I have heard before. It's not like a rattle, more just like a buzz. It's very hard to describe, but I hope this little explanation helps.

Thanks,

Journ

journey, the fine tuners are indeed highly suspect. I hope yopu have checked that 1. they are not touching the plate,2. the Round "nuts" that hold the tuners on should be tight. I can't tighten these with my fingers effectivly so I use a clamp.

If you still think it's the tuners, wrap a small piece of heavy cloth, like a sock, around them, an see if that muffles it. also tapping on the tailpiece, bridge strings with a pencil may help. keep us filled in

bud

quote:

Originally posted by music:

Do you play with a necklace?

I take my necklace off when I play. (Unless it is a necklace that won't hit my fiddle.) I wish it were that though..... crazy.gif

Fiddlefaddle:

I checked #2, but I'm not sure what you mean by #1. What is the plate?

Thanks,

Journ

The last "untraceable" buzz I found in a fiddle was caused by the LABEL becoming unglued. This was due to glue and paper together acting like a tiny tuning fork. Other causes could include loosened blocks or linings or even loose purfling.

In a quiet room, with your fiddle up to pitch, and everything tight - tuners, no loose ends of tailgut/brass screws etc., hold your fiddle and tap all around the edge of back then belly, very lightly. The noise you hear will change dramatically if you hit over a loose area. Do the same around the ribs of the fiddle. This will check for loosened linings and blocks.

Take your chinrest off. Make sure that the area under the chinrest clamps has not risen away from the ribs.

Flex, between thumb and fingers, all around the edges of the instrument. You are trying to feel for any "bumps" which are out of place.

Sometimes, though, this is something that you have to learn to live with.

Mike

n.b. Have you checked for loose string windings?

[This message has been edited by MikeH (edited 02-08-2001).]

Check to see if there is a buildup of varnish/rosin/polish/dirt in the f-holes where the wings come close to the outer curve. Make sure you can slip a piece of paper between. When goo builds up there, it can result in the most god-aweful buzz imaginable.

If I'm right, you owe me something nice. smile.gif

(Many repairmen forget to check there)

[This message has been edited by Christopher Reuning (edited 02-08-2001).]

Thank-you all for the responses!

I do have good news.---- I tapped the tailpeice, strings, and bridge, with a pencil (like fiddlefaddle said), and it made the buzz almost go away. It is still there, but barely. I am still going to check the f holes, like Christopher said, to see if that helps this little buzz.

How do I clean the f holes if they are dirty?

Fiddlefaddle: what does that do when I tap it with a pencil? By knowing this, does anyone have a new guess as to what it could be?

Thank-you,

Journ

• 22 years later...
On 2/9/2001 at 9:28 AM, Journey said:

Thank-you all for the responses!

I do have good news.---- I tapped the tailpeice, strings, and bridge, with a pencil (like fiddlefaddle said), and it made the buzz almost go away. It is still there, but barely. I am still going to check the f holes, like Christopher said, to see if that helps this little buzz.

How do I clean the f holes if they are dirty?

Fiddlefaddle: what does that do when I tap it with a pencil? By knowing this, does anyone have a new guess as to what it could be?

Thank-you,

Journ

Is the Buzz still nagging you or have you worked it out?