Sign in to follow this  
Paganini

Purchasing a new instrument from the Chicago School of Violin Making?

I have a friend that asked me to find a violin for him on a limited budget, and I've read of some people purchasing instruments from a school of violin making (preferably some place around the Chicago area where I live). Can anyone tell me exactly where to go to find these apprentice made instruments? Are the going rates for these fiddles much lower because the makers aren't established? Finally, around how much do these violins cost?

Thanks for all replies in advance

I would suggest going to different shops in Chicago and its neighboring cities and ask the owners what they currently have. You can also call the Chicago School of Violin Making at 847-673-9545. Since there is no set price, pricing depends on the instruments and the shops who sell them.

Perhaps it will be helpful to hear that I recently bought a lovely viola that was made by a student at the Chicago School a number of years ago. I paid about $4k, and I'm very pleased with the instrument, which is about 12 years old now. Not exactly the kind of purchase you are considering, however ... 12 years is a long time.

Good luck!

Policy seems to vary on pricing of student instruments. A colleague of mine bought one such from the North Bennet Street School in Boston for about $600. It's pretty good, and a steal at the price.