Maestronet Forums

baroque instruments website

steveg

Very nice site! I've bookmarked it. Although I'll be having nightmares about that Hulinsky viola for weeks to come...

I found the "Who made this violin" page *very* interesting - I wasn't aware how much expert opinions could vary from one another.

And the black Violone by Johann Georg Thir (Vienna, 1750) - wow! I didn't know they made varnish that dark, nor did I know that there even were such instruments as violines before I read that page.

I think this needs to be taken with just a grain of salt--I wouldn't be able to come up with top experts numbering the number of cities he mentions, much less in those cities. Without the names (is his top expert in London the same as mine and everyone else's, for instance or one of the many other people in London to whom one could go with this question and get a less authoritative answer; what were the circumstances under which the question was asked, etc.?), his statement doesn't mean much--and once you drop below the top level of experts, well, when you drop into the second tier, they're there in the second rank for a good reason, right? Lots of times people mention going to "experts" that no one's ever heard of--remember that all expertise isn't created equal, and you can't get good advice from a bad source, nor should you expect that one source knows it all.

quote:

Originally posted by natnot:

I found the "Who made this violin" page *very* interesting - I wasn't aware how much expert opinions could vary from one another.

[This message has been edited by Michael Darnton (edited 02-16-2002).]