Sign in to follow this  
violino d'oro

Help finding a NYC luthier...

Greetings everyone,

My older violin has arrived and I like it very much in the first 24 hours smile.gif

However, I have 14 days to return it if for any reason I want or need to, so I wanted to take it to a professional for a check up to be certain that there is no structural unsoundness that a novice could overlook.

Has anyone worked with a particular person or shop in Manhattan or nearby surrounds and had a good experience? There are many and I don't want to choose at random.

Many thanks,

Sarah

There are lots of violin shops at 250 West 54th Street. Just go to the building and make an appointment...some you can just walk in. Some of them are:

Gael Francais, Yung Chin, Carlos Arcieri, Emmanuel Matt-Gradoux and Rene Morel, James McKean, ? Buck.

Anyway, Lots!

roman

roman

I tried to do the same thing awhile ago, and was greatly surprised to discover that some luthiers refused to do this sort of examination -- one suggested to me that legal liabilities would prevent anyone from doing so. Happily, other fine luthiers have no such qualms, so don't be discouraged if you initially have some trouble finding someone willing to look at your violin.

That said, I've taken my instruments to Christophe Landon's shop (now combined with "Strings and Other Things" I believe) on Broadway across from Lincoln Center. They are large and a bit impersonal but do very good work. Do call for an appointment, however, and expect to pay top $ for their time.

The building roman mentioned had about 8 violin shops in it when I went in 1998. I recommend Jacques Francais, D.S. Buck, and Saint-Cyr (in the Carnegie Hall building). The Strads at the Smithsonian go to Francais's shop for maintenance.