Maestronet Forums

What the heck happened here?

toc

German most likely, 1870-80? The neck may be a complete replacement. On my monitor I can't get a handle on the claimed patina. The way the camera flash shows up it looks like someone applied polish over very worn varnish. Plenty of these murky brown finishes end up like this. Other than that, it seems to have been kept in playing trim. Wonder what the reserve is...

One other thing catches my attention, "Flamed maple back with matching neck.." I don't know how I'd tell that on this violin; maybe the pictures don't show all they could.

[This message has been edited by Mark_W (edited 11-09-2001).]

Well just to sound a dissenting note... Mark may recall photos of my old German violin (the one with the Cordanus label). The finish on it had one worn off down to bare wood much in the same way as it has on this old fiddle. When I had mine set up properly, my luthier did a super polishing job (wax alone) that brought out a similar incredible sheen. It is really pretty. For this ebay violin, however, it is possible that a clear coat was applied to make it shine that way. In sum, the look of the finish doesn't bother me at all, although a clear coat would diminish its value.

[This message has been edited by Richf (edited 11-09-2001).]

Well, I don't think we disagree all that much, Richf! I'm not offended by the look of natural wear myself. This is a good thing, because I'm a lousy retoucher.

How does the Cordanus sound? I found that to be a nice old violin. I'm sort of a sucker for those old blunt-cornered Brescian-type outlines.

[This message has been edited by Mark_W (edited 11-09-2001).]

Hello Mark. Since you asked, I will tell you my sad story. The violin sounded great. I'm just a hack fiddler and don't really know how to pull out a big sound. But the volume on that violin would just go up and up and stayed sweet and smooth all the way. The story is sad because I decided to sell it: I couldn't afford to own 2 nice violins, and I was torn between the big (professional?) sound of the "Cordanus" and the flat-out beauty of the Asa White violin I already owned. The decision got made when my daughters piano teacher said she needed a new piano. Something had to go, and the "Cordanus" just got auction off on Tarisio. Jason Price described it simply as an "1860 German Violin," but I still think it was much older. If I see a good price on ebay, I would definitely buy one in that style again. It probably helps if some people think they're ugly.

Richf, I did see the '1860 German' description, but did not click on the picture. So many items to look at...A pity it's gone!

I'm in the same boat, in a slightly different way. I can't bear to sell anything I've got, each one for a different reason. Yet this is preventing me from purchasing anything else! I'm down to seven or eight violins, just hanging around asking to be worked on. Good thing I don't earn my living doing this.

Regards,

Mark

quote:

Originally posted by Richf:

Hello Mark. Since you asked, I will tell you my sad story. The violin sounded great. I'm just a hack fiddler and don't really know how to pull out a big sound. But the volume on that violin would just go up and up and stayed sweet and smooth all the way. The story is sad because I decided to sell it: I couldn't afford to own 2 nice violins, and I was torn between the big (professional?) sound of the "Cordanus" and the flat-out beauty of the Asa White violin I already owned. The decision got made when my daughters piano teacher said she needed a new piano. Something had to go, and the "Cordanus" just got auction off on Tarisio. Jason Price described it simply as an "1860 German Violin," but I still think it was much older. If I see a good price on ebay, I would definitely buy one in that style again. It probably helps if some people think they're ugly.