Maestronet Forums

~*StringWorks Artist Viola*~

violist87

"Quality" is subjective. What are your needs? If you want quality in a general term you'll havwe to add approx. $1500 on to your $250. Then I'd look at possibly R.Doetsch. Check out Stringworks. I haven't played their violas but they look quite nice. They'll supposedly give you a trial week. Gliga instruments are factory items but you'll get a trial week from them as well. They have a website (www.violinslover.com) or you can check out a number of them on ebay.

I bought a Stringworks 3/4 Artist violin last April. It replaced a 1/2 size Crescendo. The customer service from Stringworks is first rate. They are very nice and accomoidating people. The Artist line is a good violin. His teacher happened to comment favorably on it again at the last lesson.

We got the package deal with the dart case and brazilwood bow. I upgraded to a suspension case from Shar and also got a Glasser composite bow. The case was necesary because he takes the violin on the bus. He uses the cheap Stringworks bow instead of the Glasser composite and his teacher concurs.

If I remember correctly, the outfit was around $600, much more than $275 that you mention in your post. Unless one lucks out on a used German outfit on EBAY that happens to turn out good, it would be difficult to get something decent for that little money.

For the money spent, I would highly recommend Stringworks.

you might go to swstrings.com and check out the yuan qin viola ($632 i think). they are pretty darned excellent instruments, plenty loud, nice bright sound, but not shrill. i played one for a few days. i returned it due to the difference in stringlength between it and my viola being too great, but it was a keeper aside from that. theyre pretty too, nice flamed wood and a good shine. i think around $800 with case and bow.

Loxahatchee Vintage Strings is another good source of named and no-name beginner and step-up instruments. I've played some real nice Asian instruments there. George has also started selling Euros, I think, which is the brand of my teaching violin. Well under a grand, and very good sound. www.lvstrings.com

L.V.Strings is the supplier for my rental fleet.