Maestronet Forums

Private Lessons

I am currently looking into recieving private lessons for the violin. I know that i can easily get the names of some qualified teachers in the area from my band director, however, i was wondering about some things. I suppose looking for their quality and knowledge must be fairly the same as when i looked for my flute teacher, but i was wondering what i should expect price wise. I know i paid 10 a week for my piano teacher who had studied music since childhood and was very and talented, and I currently pay 16 a week for a flute teacher with a masters degree in music. However, I have heard a variety of prices on this site, and i was wondering what a fair price would be for a teacher. Thanx

Amanda, you would probably do better to spend time interviewing teachers before you choose one [my piano teacher said that, amazingly, none of her students ever asked about her background!], or to just ask for a simple survey, as "fair" is a relative term. You should find someone that's right for you - the two of you need to "click" - a teacher who is right for one, may be all wrong for someone else. It also depends where you live...

If you are taking a simple survey - I pay $50/hr for weekly lessons in Southern CA for an experienced teacher - her assistants charge $30-40, younger & less experienced, good musicians, becoming good teachers... The teacher who I got HER name from only teaches advanced students at $70/hr. It all depends on what you are looking for. My teacher was also upfront enough to offer her background and an interview without me even asking, which I liked. I took 3 lessons from a teacher studying to be a lawyer, who didn't ask me anything, and didn't offer any background. She charged $20 per 1/2 hr. in a music store. Several things she said I know now were totally wrong or she didn't know anything about [she once referred to my tempo by describing that I was playing quarter notes like they were eighth notes, making no reference to the "andante" notation!]. Anyway, she's probably a lawyer now. smile.gif Good luck!

I am not sure how much it costs for my teacher per hour. My mother insists on not letting me know. I think though that his fees per hour get cheaper if you play semi annually, and annually, then four times a year. For example, if you pay the semi annual fee, then you save 15 then if you payed four times a year.

My beginner teacher taught for $10 an hour. Of course she doesn't know how to execute spiccato! crazy.gif

Good luck

Diana cool.gif

The strings teacher at my school is very nice and gives me weekly 45 minute private lessons free even though I'm not a little kid. She's very good. My clarinet lessons with one of the best teachers in the area cost $24 for 45 minutes. But I live near Syracuse NY, not exactly a hotbed of musical activity.