Sign in to follow this  
Miranda

buying electric violin

Hi, I haven't posted to the board before but have spent many hours reading and learning from this discussion board....so thanks you lot .

I have a question..... I want to buy an electric violin but don't want to travel too far...my local shop will order for me, but haven't been very helpful in giving me too much info on what is available....they have told me that I have only a choice of two .... Fender or Yamaha. My websearches haven't been particularly successful either.

Has anyone here had any experience of either of these brands ? I live on a small island and it would take an awful lot of effort to travel in order to try the violins out and would really appreciate any information/advice you could give me.

Miranda

Oh, there's a number of them. smile.gif

Zeta would be one of the biggest, Keebler one of the newest, and a number of others who are making acoustic ones that are already 'wired'.

There's a couple old Electric Violin threads here, I learned LOTS reading them, you might want to do a search in the Fingerboard for them.

I'm currently evaluating three electric violins -- a Yamaha, a Keebler, and an acoustic/electric from Barcus Berry.

Don't ask me yet which I'm going to decide on.

-deb

I'm thinking of having my hubby make a case for the Keebler -- and use that liquid foam stuff that expands to fit things inside, then cover it. It'll be heavier than a plastic case, but hey, maybe the old wooden coffin cases will come back in style, ya know? smile.gif

That said, it fits pretty well into an old canvas covered case, which is where it is now. But not securely.

My biggest issue with the Keebler right now is the ergonomics. I'm still pretty new to the violin, remember, and my arms just aren't strong enough at this point to handle the instrument as well as a lighter fiddle.

I'm not sure whether I'd be doing harm or not if I used it routinely at this stage of my learning, and my teacher wasn't much help. He stared at the violin and then broke out in a fit of giggles.

-deb

Look in the previous electric violin topics for some great feedback from others using Zetas, Yamahas, acoustic, and others.

Zeta was just out of my price range, that and NOBODY had one in town I could try.

-deb