Maestronet Forums

ebay - Interesting Strad Copy

fubbi2

That certificate comes up with a value of over $30,000 for an instrument by an unknown maker based on tone and workmanship? Does this seem strange to anyone else? Everything that I've read on this board seems to indicate that any price that high would have to have a basis for value other than a subjective tone analysis.

Any comments?

Elaine

Norman, OK

I like to see more of a show for this kind of money...

3 small pictures & the newspaper clipping leave me wanting, not to mention the appraisal,

The deep cut lower left f-hole looks like its

into "No Mans Land"

not much wood left between the perfling and lower f-hole that I can see,

frown.gif

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Powell (edited 04-04-2001).]

If, as Al's message indicates, the individual is a convicted con-artist, should ebay owners be notified? Seems like the right thing to do if someone has validated information. I'm not sure a maestronet posting from an unregistered user named 'Al' qualifies as 'validated', but I get the impression there are others here who have a bit of background knowledge. One would think the bidders would be grateful.

quote:

Originally posted by ShadowHawk:

If, as Al's message indicates, the individual is a convicted con-artist, should ebay owners be notified? Seems like the right thing to do if someone has validated information. I'm not sure a maestronet posting from an unregistered user named 'Al' qualifies as 'validated', but I get the impression there are others here who have a bit of background knowledge. One would think the bidders would be grateful.

Hello,

The late Al Stancel owned "Casa Del Sol Violin" Indianapolis,Ind

His wife and family still operate and run the buisiness,

He was one of the best in the buisiness in my opinion,

as well as a violinmaker,

If he said it,I would belive it,

Regards,

Mike Powell

Al is unregistered only because he's dead. frown.gif

Look up Casa del Sol violins in Indianapolis for a better picture of who Al Stancel was.

But I completely agree that someone should notify the VSA and, if there's a solid record on Voirin (sad surname for a con artist to have), at least get pointers to it into the hands of the ebay punters.

[This message has been edited by Mairead (edited 04-05-2001).]

Hi Mairead,

There are many, many certificates like this which will continue to surface... Little can be done about old activity... It's just another "sighting".

Shadowhawk; I have not seen much to convince me that ebay would do anything with this information... Have you? If you think they might be interested, why not let them know ? (and please let us know what their reaction is)

Best wishes,

Jeffrey

[This message has been edited by Jeffrey Holmes (edited 04-05-2001).]