Sign in to follow this  
capelin

Seeking picture of Maggini-type scroll

Can anyone tell me where I could find a picture of a Maggini-type scroll (has an extra "turn")? I would be interested in a drawing, or a link to a photograph. Any help would be very gratefully received.

I recall reading in an archived post that a fair number of German trade violins were made with this extra turn in the scroll, around 1900. On the one violin I actually saw with this feature, I found it a very appealing touch, and I wonder why it is seemingly so rare to see a modern violin with this type of scroll. Anyone know?

When I get to my home computer I'll check if I have any of those 4-turn scroll photographs archived. One possible source is eBay--A lot of German Maggini copies are auctioned there and some have the extra twist.

Why isn't it more used? I think professional makers are concerned with authenticity and follow the Italian models. Use of a 4-turner might not be an intrinsically bad esthetic choice, but it's a sign of ignorance of historical tradition. (For the record, I think they are interesting, too.)

Mark_W

Wasn't there some discussion that the Maggini or de Salo scroll was actually one turn less instead of one turn more and that it somehow got reversed in the copying process?

Marsden

Yes, I've also had some failed searches on topics I know existed. Admin, take note.

Capelin, sorry, I must have erased those old images.

Mark_W

quote:

Originally posted by illuminatus:

There was a thread about the scroll, but I can't seem to find it. There was a picture of Maggini style scroll. Something's wrong with the search engine.

Thank you all for replying.

2Violet, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Mark_W, your explanation makes good sense. If this is indeed the reason, makers are more hidebound than customers or players -- I'd love to have a scroll like this on my violin, and wouldn't be the least concerned with the instrument being historically correct. A photograph doesn't do it justice, but that extra turn really draws and intrigues the eye.

Donuel,

the really good Maggini copies were done by John Fredricks, and August Gemunder. Since August's Uncle George worked for Vuillaume, it is easy to make the conection that August had a better varnish than the German works at the time.

An original Maggini scroll has about 3/4 less turn to the eye. Somewhere it got started in Germany that Maginii's had 1 extra turn, as well as double purfling. Not All Maggini violins have double purfling.

Capelin,

Yes, the extra turn is not authentic. It first turned up in German 'copies'. Maggini scrolls (and I think also da Salo) have a distinct undercutting of the turns of the scroll. Genuine 'Magginis' are quite rare but I have had the opportunity to examine one belonging to a London musician and have made a couple of copies - it is liberating to cut a scroll ignoring all the teaching about keeping the sides of the turns parallel!. A few years ago there was an excellent illustration of a scroll in a Strad poster of a beautiful Maggini viola although I can't remember exactly when. I have a few fairly poor b&w pictures of a Maggini scroll which I can scan for you if you need them, but the Strad poster is much better.

Derek

I too have been told that the "extra" turn was a myth found only on German copies, but Ifshin Violins in Berkeley, CA is advertising a pricey George Gemunder on their website with that Maggini-style extra turn. Is that strange?

The violin I am using is of that type. On the back of the pegbox on the outside are inscribed the words "Lowendall's celebrated Conservatory Violin -- Magini". A luthier told me that he thinks it was made around 1880. The wood is beautiful and it has a nice sound. No picture -- sorry.

Mark_W Great photograph!! Thanks very much.

Tom Blatz I was not able to open this successfully, receiving instead a message to the effect, "this page not available". But, thank you for replying and the reference.

Capelin,

Try it again later, I think the site is

experiencing an overload. I did not find

an e-mail address in your profile to send the image directly to you.

Best,

Tom