Maestronet Forums

Diamonds are Forever...........

Jeffie

.........saw the commercial just now on television..what is the title of the piece they were playing with the young couple holding hands?

I am absolutely enchanted by the music. And of course I would love to be able to afford a diamond for a special someone soon smile.gif but I am just a poor person ( student), with nothing to my name, except my dear violin. And what is the diamond company that has this slogan?

Jeffie

[This message has been edited by Jeffie (edited 04-11-2002).]

Never buy diamonds!

The commercial you saw was a DeBeers commercial. I think the music is commmissioned. It sounds really nice....

...But this company is a worldwide diamond cartel. They control supply, and therefore price. Can't afford a diamond? Well you should be able to. Except that Debeers buys and stockpiles millions of diamonds in well concealed and well guarded caves and caverns so that they don't get put out on the market by whatever competitors they have. A lot of these diamonds are coming out of countries such as Sierra Leone which is enduring a bloody civil war that is being financed by diamond money from DeBeers. Just buy costume jewelry...It looks the same.

I want to second what HK1997 said. Diamond price will crash if people knew how many diamonds are stock-piled in caves in South Africa. Diamond mines are horrible places to work in. If you think sweatshops in Asia were bad, the diamond mines in Africa are 10x worse, and many workers died due to the inherent danger. Couple that with wars caused by fighting controls over the mines, diamonds are what keep dictatorships going in some African countries.

quote:

Originally posted by Jeffie:

try telling a girl that, they will think you are a cheapo....what a sad sad world.

Or she'll think you're sensitive and conscientious. If you don't think she will, then don't tell her and just buy the zirconia. Only superheroes like Kabal can tell the difference. laugh.gif

I think I just found out why I don't have a girlfriend right now...

quote:

Originally posted by Pennstater:

Kabal, the fact that you found that site is disturbing
smile.gif

This is nothing. The other "sites" that I have found would not fit in the "family" genre. My girlfiend is away taking care of her Dad. Hold me, Love me, whisper sweet things in my ear. I need lovin, tender kisses, and my cat jumping on me is not working for me these days. He is handsome, though. He misses his "mom", and so do I. frown.gif

DeBeers is one of the most successful world monopolies. Stories abound about the working conditions of mines and the stockpilingof diamonds and mothballing of diamond mines and potential diamond mine sites, as well as murders and threats of anyone who threatens to compete.

There may be some truth to this, but also one needs to be careful. There is an independent diamond based in Dallas that produces diamonds from mines around hte world that they control. Also, the former Soviet Union had considerable diamond resources, yet the opening up of that source did not crash the priced of diamonds as predicted (DebBeers may have gotten there first with lots of well place cash - not at all imporbable). But so much of ths reeks of Urban Legend. In any case diamonds are overpriced using any moDel of supply and demand. There is no shortage of diamonds. Quality Rubies and Emeralds are far more rare.

quote:

Originally posted by Jeffie:

I know it is Palladio

But I do not think it is the Allegreto version.....and I think it is the Largo version...

hmm i am confused myself too..

[This message has been edited by Jeffie (edited 04-12-2002).]

The actual piece has three movements. Perhaps you've heard the second or third? The theme returns in the third movement and while I've not listened to it recently, it does seem that it is at a slower tempo when it wafts into the third movement. The second movement is a very slow, emotional piece, primarily a duet with backup from the orchestra. A tribute to Karl Jenkins late aunt.

On the second topic in this thread: diamonds are only expensive if you don't know how to shop for them. Get yourself fully educated on the old "4 C's" you hear jewelry folk rattle about and you'd be surprised what you can turn up with a little patience. I recently purchased a ring with 1.35 carats of very nice diamonds for the whopping price of $300...... Jewelry in retail stores is typically marked up 500% (for real, folks!). And those of you who oppose diamonds on the basis of political/human rights probably should give up eating too. Have you ever seen farm laborers work? The hours, (Benefits? What benefits?), the conditions, the pay (can you say sub-minimum wage?).

Finally, to those of you who oppose CZ's, don't knock 'em 'til you try them. If they are set in a nice mounting and not overdone in size, no one need be the wiser. Europeans figured this out years ago and will proudly wear their CZ's next to the real thing.

OK, I'm done!

The diamond business has always been pretty cutthroat and immoral, I personally never did see the attraction, apart from a geological (right word?) point of view.

Sure they're very pretty, but I have a ring that has semi-precious tiny shiny stones in it, which receives a lot of complimentary remarks --- on the other hand, a friend of mine who has a big diamond ring, receives no comments whatsoever.

The cover story of National Geographic of either last month or the month before was all about diamonds and the de Beers company.

In my city, we not only get the de Beers commercials (which use Mr. Jenkins' Palladio), but we also get local commercials from vendors like J.C.Penny's which uses a sort of knock-off Palladio... perhaps you heard a retailers imitation commercial.