Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'retouching'.
Hi all! About a year ago, I prepared walnut stain from husks by submerging them in a 50/50 mix of alcohol and water, and filtering off the solid contents after it had sat for a few days. Now, looking at my stain, a decent bit of the colorant has dropped out of solution and found itself in an insoluble layer on the bottom of the jar. Just for kicks, I decided to try using this sediment as a colorant and it's a much more lovely warm golden brown than I'm used to getting from walnut stain alone. I've made lake pigments from the same batch of walnut hulls in the past, and this sediment goes far beyond the lakes in its color quality and warmth. Any ideas as to what might be happening in the jar overtime to make this sediment? My hope is to recreate it without having to wait so long. -M
Hi all, I would like to share some findings about a chemical compound, that is, ethyl lactate, (C5H10O3). It is sold as a solvent for both natural and synthetic resins, and as a replacement for xylene, because it is less toxic and it's also "environmentally friendly". I don't know anyone who uses it in violin restoration, it probably has more application in restoration of paintings. I decided to try it as a thinner for my (spirit) retouching varnish, that's what I found: brushability is improved it seems to help when mixing some dry pigment in (Orasol); when colored varnish dries in the palette, I can redissolve it with the ethyl lactate more easily works with Deft too! Using ehtyl lactate like it is usually done with xylene is not possible but, it would be ok for stripping varnish of course. Looking forward to reading your comments, there's always a lot to learn here on Maestronet. Giovanni