• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About gottawonder

  • Rank
    Junior Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Right. Lazy assumption on my part.
  2. That makes a lot of sense! Also consistent with that interpretation is the description I just dug up in an old Maestronet thread of a WILHELMJ stamped bow as light and incredibly stiff which is exactly what I first thought about the bow I am inquiring about. Thanks!
  3. Just came into possession of a bow very clearly stamped "SAXONY" and almost illegibly stamped something else which I have convinced myself is "WILHELM." Armed with that much information, I am guessing that this is a cottage industry bow produced 100 or so years ago. It looks to me as though there is the beginning of some additional letter at the tail end of the WILHELM stamp, and I am curious if anyone here has any ideas what that may mean. The roman numerals scratched into the stick and the underslide on the frog match if that is any help. I believe I saw a small brass pin in the underslide,
  4. That sounds right, but a figured neck wouldn't guarantee oldness certainly?
  5. Right. I think I posted without thinking through all of the implications of my inquiry here now you say that. The organized instrument auction came up in conversation with a teacher about a first full size instrument for a teenage player. I guess I can be pleased that, based on that suggestion, she probably isn't in the pocket of a less than above board local shop, but the direction of that conversation did orient my thinking away from the good local shops which would be a mistake. Thanks for the reminder.
  6. How many misrepresented violins - flowing through eBay for example - are old-if-not-as-labelled (so largely Dutzenarbeit?), and how many of them are tarted-up new violins (so probably Chinese?)? Either way best avoided, that I know, but I did start to wonder about spotting the latter category. Assuming any pictures accompanying a listing show the corners clearly, I take it rudimentary cornerblockology can pick out most of the BOB fiddles, but is there any similarly reliable clue for 'newness' when an instrument is described as old/antique/vintage/19th century/etc.? And would this typ
  7. Fortunately for me, I don't have a shop vac; a mediocre Markie doesn't deserve what I might get up to around it with a shop vac. I'll either give the clever string trick a go or say live and let live, bunny.
  8. I know! I was half convinced it was alive for a second before I got my wits about me and realized that all the movement was due to my inability to stabilize the camera holding it delicately in the f-hole. Not sure how best to get that bunny out of there; I assume that would be advisable? OK then. I'm good with that. I'm just glad to hear that it doesn't look like a terrible quality Markie. It's really sentimental attachment to Freiburg that led me to pick up this particular violin. Not a good reason to put any money into an instrument; fortunately it wasn't a gre
  9. What would you say is a fair price for a bow like that one? Very pretty piece of work.
  10. Unfortunately, borescopes of the particularly cheap variety may be too large to fit through the endpin hole. That is what I discovered anyway when I succumbed to the urge to take a gander at the innards of my violin with the very cheap borescope I have. Since the subject has come up here, I am going to also succumb to the urge to post some of the resulting images. I am 99% sure that the violin I went poking around in is the usual Dutzenarbeit. I would be very interested to know whether these images remove all doubt or call into question that origin story. Also, is the label pictured a repair l
  11. Finally a few more shots of the bow:
  12. Thanks for that glimpse of the making process. Just the kind of information that I will never learn from experience but that enriches the interactions I can have with the instruments. Cheers!
  13. Right, sorry about that. I can't take any new photos until tomorrow afternoon at the soonest. In the meantime, here is a link to a few images from my previous posting about this same bow asking about the wood species: I would like to take a more complete set of photos at better resolution than the ones in that folder; just can't do it right away. I'm excited about the bow, if you couldn't tell, but can't make getting it playable a top priority at the moment.
  14. Cool! That you were able to provide a clarification of the alcohol/shellac interaction conundrum I mean, but also that such transformations take place in the lifespan of a stringed instrument now I think of it.
  15. Absolutely. I don't for a second mean to suggest anything to the contrary. Neither am I speculating about anything. What I am wondering about here is just why the particular choice of liquid solvent would be made given that, on my naive reading of the descriptions I quoted above anyway, chemically the mix of alcohol and shellac wouldn't appear most desirable.