Tom Fid

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Tom Fid

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I second that recommendation - they were quick to respond when I needed weird strings for my cornerless Chanot.
  2. Just to be clear, "Shrine to Music" and "National Music Museum" in Vermillion SD are the same thing. Well worth a trip, but closed at present, as previously noted.
  3. Your tutorial post makes it look pretty straightforward.
  4. I don't have the tools. I'm not averse to doing work myself, but I'd want to work on more than a few yardsale specials before touching this one. There are some luthiers around, and I'd certainly like to support local business. However, our experience with local rehairs has been pretty mixed, and I don't know anyone with fine instruments who dares to have them worked on here. Bushing the big end does seem more attractive, because it's adding rather than removing irreplacable 200-year-old wood. I think the A has been bushed once before, though the varnish makes it a little hard to tell. That may be how it got off kilter to begin with.
  5. I'm working on getting an old cello into better playing condition. (This one: With new strings and some improvements to the bridge, it's already sounding pretty good, but the pegs are cranky. I got out the calipers and measured each. It turns out that they're all over the place, with diameters on the small side from 11.2 to 11.9mm, and 13.1 to 14.1 on the large side. The tapers therefore range from 18:1 to 24:1. The A seems most troublesome, because its taper is off (18.5:1) and therefore it tends to slip. It's also the fattest (14.1mm) and riding a little high, so the middle strings brush it. That's only mildly troublesome, though it'll probably get worse when we switch to gut strings this week. This is above my pay grade, so it'll probably involve a long road trip to Seattle or Salt Lake for any work. So ... I'd like to have a somewhat informed opinion when I get there. Where do you draw the line when correcting the taper, where it's necessary to bush the fat side rather than reaming out the narrow side a bit? I'd really like to be minimally invasive with this instrument.
  6. Win10 has a File History feature that will save you, if it was turned on (not the default unfortunately). Two things to check: - right-click the file and choose "Restore Previous Versions" - search the control panel (Settings) for "File History" As others point out, best to avoid use to preserve chance to recover the older file.
  7. Francois Chanot tried this experiment, circa 1820. But he also made a lot of other changes, so hard to say what the unique contribution of the post location was.
  8. Yeah, but can you make an ice cream sundae with it, or paddle a canoe?
  9. Interesting to see if this will continue in the upcoming Skinner and T2 auctions.
  10. Decent setup helps with the cheaper ones, too, I think. The Glasser was set up surprisingly well, with Larsen strings (not red label or noname rubbish), planetary pegs, and a bridge and soundpost that actually fit. That may have been a function of the shop, but I've seen worse on things at 2-3x the price. Since the sound isn't spectacular, we were thinking of putting clear penetrating epoxy on the bridge and soundpost to make it really impervious to weather.
  11. My son has a Glasser. It's not in the same league as his wood violin (about a $3k Eastern European). You can't beat it for travel and adverse conditions though, and certainly "decent sound of some kind with good volume," especially with a pickup. L&C and Mezzoforte recordings sound better to me, but I haven't heard them side-by-side in person.
  12. If, as the listing says, "The makers violins sell consistently for $16,000+ at Tarisios," why dump it on ebay for half that?
  13. I should report back on how this worked out ... I got in touch with Gamut around xmas. They did the strings for the Chanot collection at the NMM, apparently. However, they were too busy at the time to take the special order. I ultimately talked to Gabriela's Baroque, They carry Aquila, Gamut and Toro, and it turns out that Toro E strings are available in 140cm, which gives me enough length to get 2 strings. (A standard 120cm double just isn't enough for the Chanot.) So, I have a full set now, including a gimped D, which is a little narrower than the equivalent pure gut string, and therefore fits better in the Chanot's slot. I also picked up several strings from an Ebay seller in India (ecoosa), just to have a cheap way to experiment with different gauges. The instrument sounds pretty good already, but still needs a little fine tuning. I had to cut the bridge down (a recent luthier's job was inexplicably high on the G) and the soundpost looks like a bit of a hack job. In spite of that, it projects well, and seems pretty balanced. If I had a complaint, it's that it seems a little boxy somehow.
  14. I would not want a huge, bureaucratic company involved if anything personal was at stake. If anyone can screw this up, they will. I would first document your former ownership and the shop's offering in exquisite detail, while you can. Then I'd be inclined to contact the shop (hoping for an amicable resolution) and the police (failing that). But the smart thing to do would probably be to talk to a lawyer first.
  15. Blind testing will reveal that no one can reliably determine which answer is funniest (let alone agree).