Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

Guglielmus Carinius

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Guglielmus Carinius

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Location
    : Cayuga Region

Recent Profile Visitors

965 profile views
  1. I'd be curious to try using persimmon (same genus as ebony: Diospyros).
  2. I think maybe you are referring to Maclura pomifera, or osage orange? I made a nut for one of my fiddles a few years ago out of this wood, and it seems to be holding up well. But the grain was relatively coarse, so not so easy to get a nice smooth surface.
  3. Another video of Beiliang Zhu, including a performance of Bach's *violin* partita in d minor on the cello (yes, including the chaconne!):
  4. The thread you posted to is from the year 2013.
  5. Yes to the first: Mersenne did experiments using weights (and from these experiments derived his laws relating frequency to mass per unit length, tensile force, and string length). Leopold Mozart , in his Violinschule, described verifying that adjacent strings would sound at a fifth when tensioned using equal weights. He was dismissive about players and makers who would trust their eyes to determine string gauges.
  6. 2 hours ago, gowan said: In fact Bach approved of the pianos made by Gottfried Silbermann.
  7. Andres, I agree with you 100 percent. Another clue would be Tremulant effects in baroque organs, again showing that a continuous vibrato was not anathema to everyone in the baroque period. However, it is my opinion that Bach did not care much for vibrato, and only employed it rarely as a special effect, where he indicated it with a wavy line, as found in one place in the violin solos, and one place in the Brandenburg concertos.
  8. I have no personal experience with this, but I have read that many of the strings sold through Amazon are fake.
  9. I certainly am not trying to convert anyone to using rice glue, I was curious to try using it because of my veganic tendencies. But one characteristic which could be called 'better' would be a longer working time.
  10. I used rice glue to construct a StewMac kit violin about 6 years ago (I made the glue from sushi rice). The kit arrives with the rib garland assembly (including blocks and linings) already glued to the back. So I used rice glue to attach the bass bar to the top, the top to the ribs, the neck to the body, and to glue the fingerboard, saddle and nut. The ebony parts came loose within a short time. Everything else is holding up so far, including the neck attachment (probably due to the astonishing strength of my dovetail joint!). A friend later suggested that treating the ebony parts with aceton
  11. It seems to me that in photos of actual baroque tailpieces they appear to be flat on top and bottom rather than radiused (with a step on the bottom, making the tailgut end thicker).
  12. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbutus_unedo
  13. By the way, OP, there is a specific pinned thread for spirit varnish discussions.
  • Create New...