Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

MikeC

Members
  • Posts

    4249
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    3

About MikeC

  • Birthday 08/23/1961

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Georgia
  • Interests
    Violins, Varnish, forex trading & many other things.

Recent Profile Visitors

17747 profile views

MikeC's Achievements

Enthusiast

Enthusiast (5/5)

  1. Some are quite far off, others are remarkably close, considering the variability in hand wood working. Anyway, just carve what looks good.
  2. I haven't had time to do much to the violin lately. Tonight I took a few minutes to cast a shadow across it to check the arch.
  3. Here's the Strad 3d site. https://strad3d.org/
  4. Well I think the outside arch is finished. My purfling channel will go half way through the end pin so I'll have to do the purfling last after the plate is glued to the ribs. Stradivari style! Not sure how I feel about that, I wanted to do the purfling first.
  5. You could remove a little wood from the flat area around the end blocks but that wouldn't reduce weight very much, only a little bit probably. I think that's called the Sacconi plateau. If you look at CT scans of Stradivari violins the arch is very flat in that area over the blocks but I think that has more to do with the recurve of the arching rather than an actual plateau all the way across on the inside. But I have not seen good enough images of the inside of a Strad to form a good opinion on that.
  6. I think your F holes look good. I don't know much about thickness, I just aim for 2.5 and use a Strad style punch to get there.
  7. Finishing the arch and then start purfling.
  8. For the F hole eyes, I'm using small forstner bits from Lowe's. I don't remember what size though. They cut a clean hole. Go half way through from each side.
  9. Fluting the corners since I skipped over them when edge fluting.
  10. I drew some contour lines. Not to bad considering this is straight off the gouge and toothed smoothing plane. Still some tweaking to do of course. It's a little full still in the lower corners and one of the upper corners and I always seem to get a dip along the center line seen here in the lower bout, but managed to avoid that in the upper bout.
  11. After posting those photos and looking at my long arch template again, I realized there wasn't enough recurve at the ends of the long arch. After working on that for a while, it looks a lot better. Now I have redo the cross arching near both ends of the plate to blend those in. When looking at CT scans of the Titian and some other's available online, it's apparent that the arching is nearly flat as it goes over both end blocks, perhaps with only the slightest convexity if any.
  12. Some more views of the arching at a slightly different viewing angle. It's still pretty rough, I need to work on the corners next and then inlay the purfling, then smooth everything and move on to hollowing out the inside.
  13. For those of you who don't want to watch an hour and half video, Here's a couple photos showing the arch. This is unrefined from the gouge with a little bit of toothed plane smoothing. This plate has nearly horizontal flames which help to show the contour almost like having laser lines projected on it. At this angle, lighted by the computer monitor I can see some areas that need some tweaking. But overall I think it's turning out well. There is a recent discussion on full vs scooped arching. I think having the concave / recurve roughly about a third of the distance from the edge to the top of the arch is about right. Also I'll include a picture of the kitchen remodel which has caused some delays in the violin build. Pouring epoxy countertops is not fun. My shop helper decided to pose for the camera. I'm still trying to teach him to fetch me an ice cream.
×
×
  • Create New...